1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lodging options at the grand??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Thinking of attending the Grand and wondering what the lodging options available? Camper rentals, hotels etc and distance from shoot. I have heard that people stay anywhere from 30-50 miles from Sparta. Thanks for your help!

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Best bet for hotels is around the Fairview Heights/O'Fallon area to the north. Lots of hotels/motels, lots of restaurants. Drive is about 45 miles, approximately 1 hr, down to Sparta.

Other options are Chester and Perryville (MO) to the south, DuQuoin, Pinckneyville, and Nashville to the east. And Red Bud and Waterloo to the west.

Most drives are on the order of 45 minutes to an hour. Traffic is very light.

Go to a site like Expedia and put in "Sparta, IL," then look at the map and pick your hotel. Most of the major chains are available.

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Yes, thats what the maps looked like after checking some of those sites, I didn't know if there were some non-chain places to stay or if anyone rented campers for the week etc. Thanks for your reply!

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've had good success with the Nashville, Best Western.
    once you figure out the shortcuts, it's a reasonable drive to Sparta..

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There's a B&B or two in Marissa (2 - 3 miles north).

The K-River Motel is near Baldwin, a couple miles to the west.

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Reid's Best Western in Chester, IL is a nice place to stay.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Before the Grand officially moved to Sparta, there were a lot of people saying they would stay in tents if they had to just like they did 100 years ago ... If all else fails tents are cheap down at WalMart right downtown ... Just an idea ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

My favorite lodging is to bring my trailer.

Sign up for trap banks near your campsite and watch the leader board on your tv to know when your squad is comming up.

You can rent RVS and have them set up for you.

ed.

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Hill Hopper, do you personally know of any of these RVS rentals that set up at Sparta?
    Names? Phone#? Appox. Cost?
    Thanks Rich

10. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Due to the area, there are few really nice motels. There are a couple of Bed & Breakfasts in Sparta & Marissa. There are motels in Freeburg and Belleville which are about 1/2 hr. away There are numerous RV dealers throughout the US that rent Motorhomes. The problem is the cost when added to site rent. A full service RV space at The Grand is $450+ for the shoot. There are always numerous spaces available due to this high cost. The cost almost doubled when the ATA took over camping.

11. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I keep telling my wife we need to rent the house out. I live in Marissa. If you have any specific area questions, let me know. I've lived in the area for 30 yrs or so. Dad used to duck hunt the big lake to the east. Back then it was known as the 3850 pit. That was the number of the drag line that dug it.

My hope is that the weather holds during August. If you get an RV, make sure it has air conditioning. The restaurant at the Shooting Complex is changing out. The 17th Street BBQ is leaving and an Italian restaurant is coming in. The new restaurant has another location in St. Louis, but I don't know the name. I can give you reviews after they get going. We are out there once a week.

regards,

Todd

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

With the way Ill. gun laws are going I will probably be going to cardnail in Ohio This year. I have attened the one at Sparta since the beginning but never could figure how an anti gun state and Pro criminal state government could get the grand anyway. Bill

13. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here are a few places who rent RV's

Meyers RV
    618-497-2241

Rend Lake RV
    618-724-2501

You can also check out house rentals in the area at that time by going to this website

www.heartlandhomerentals.com

It will be great to see many of our trapshooting friends and make many new friends.

Bud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.