1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Locking recoil systems for doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tony Fortino, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

I've been seeing many advertised mechanisms to lock recoil devices for doubles, I'm interested to hear theories on why this would give you any advantage at all.

From my stand point, locking the system would create foreign recoil and knock you out of the gun on the first shot, which is no good and against the common concensus of trapshooters.

I now do not shoot a gun with a recoil reduction device on it, but I did shoot a PFS on a beretta for three years. Through the course of shooting I would occasionally tighten the system to keep it in relatively the same position and would definetly notice a fall in my doubles scores. I would go from averaging 96-97 and jumping up to a 99 to averaging 95 and having to shoot my heart out for a 97. I would conclude that having the extra recoil reduction for the first shot helped me stay in the gun better rather than being smashed out of the gun with recoil.

I do not see any advantage what so ever with locking a recoil device, so some one please explain!!

Tony Fortino

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to keep the LOP the same for shot 1 and shot 2. HMB

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

If I could average 96-97 in doubles I would not change a thing. Good shooting Tony!

I recently installed a RAD II and cannot detect a LOP change between the first and second shot. But I am a slow shooter so the gun has likely returned to "battery" for the second shot.

Don Verna

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don--I use a RAD II also and it returns very fast. I could see if you shot extremely fast where you may have an issue with LOP change but i haven't been able to beat the return on my RAD II.

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

One of the advantages of my Bump-Buster is the short .20" stroke. It returns faster than you can pull the trigger twice. It keeps you in the gun for the second shot, allowing you to smoothly swing to the second bird and make the shot without having to find the gun again. It has the shortest stroke and fastest return time of any recoil system available today.

Ken Rucker

6. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

HMB, could I venture to say that the length of pull is irrelevant for the second shot if the recoil from the first shot knocks you out of the gun?

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is not irrelevant if you use a light load for the first shot. One that doesn't knock you out of the gun. HMB

8. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

True, I guess it depends on other things also, such as actual recoil of the gun before the recoil system, but then there would be no need for the recoil system before. It seems that the general concensus is that its unneccesary with rads though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.