1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lockin down that adjustable stock once and 4 all

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Last year I made an adjustable stock. After shooting numerous rounds adjusting the height of the comb, readjusting the height of the comb again and again, I came to the conclusion that adjustable stocks are not for me, or any one person who constantly changes their stock every time they shoot poorly.

Over the years, I have seen numerous shooters make adjustments to their adjustable stocks, even on the line. For some of us,the adjustments never seem to end.

To my knowledge the adjustable stock is meant for the shooter to attempt to adjust the stock to fit him or her with the results being to smoke targets, leading to good scores. Once you achieve this, most shooters lock the stock down and never touch the adjustment screws again.

A couple weeks ago, I determined that this constant adjusting of my stock has to end. I cemented the stock down once and for all. I decided I will not sell this gun, so stop all the adjustments. Guess what, my scores already seem to be improving.

In my opinion, adjustable stocks, adjustable recoil pads, adjustable ribs, adjustable triggers, are meant to be adjusted. But once you find the correct setting, lock them down and don't touch any of these adjustments again.

I have seen numerous shooters when a target is missed state all they need to do is to make one little adjustment and they will be in the winners circle. These same people sometimes get the adjustments so out of whack that they can never get the gun shooting as good as before they made the original adjustment.

If you want your scores to improve as well as obtaining some relative piece of mind, consider locking down your guns adjustments once and for all. All these adjustments are great to have if you are the type of person who will lock them down once you find the correct settings for your type of shooting style. But, if you are the type of individual who needs to make changes every time you shoot poorly, a gun with all these adjustments will hurt your shooting more than help you in the long run.

If any of you have or are presently going through this process of continuing making adjustments, consider what I did and lock the adjustments down once and for all. Who knows, you just might someday be in the winners circle. It's your gun, do what ever you want.
    Steve Balistreri

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I wnat way do the adjustable cobms go out of adjustment? If they slip downward the answer is simple - place washers or some other spacer on the posts under the comb. Even if the screws loosen, the comb can't go out of adjustment.

3. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I made the mistake of making a "slight adjustment" to the Gray-Coil pad on my 90T to raise the stock up on my cheek. I unwittingly also moved the pad sideways. I had some of the worst scores ever last summer. When checking POI (Neil Winston method) I was off 7 inches to the left at 15 yards. I finally got the gun dialed back in.

How do any of you mark the position of your butt pad and comb so you can return, if necessary, to the settings you dialed in (magic markers don't seem to work for me)?

Thanks,

Terry Sandlin

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If weight gains or loses, super high targets etc.etc. would stay the same, a fixed stock is just ducky.

Terry, once I get mine set to smoking targets, I use a straight edge on my rib to measure comb height front and back, also measure front and back of comb side for alignment with the bore/rib and write those numbers down. Much easier to get back to what works best.

Hap

5. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

Lock down the set screws with finger nail polish. Put washers (spacers) on the studs of the adjustable comb to hold in same position, take all the measurements which you can reapply, if necessary, and if you have an adjustable trigger -- set it, measure the pull or pull/release, and store away your figures in your choke tube box or repair kit. And last: LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL YOU CAN NO LONGER SMOKE 90% OF THE TARGETS FROM POST #3 AT SINGLES DISTANCE...

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Tom Waring, May have misspelled his last name. Tom passed into the land of three hole targets long, long ago, bless him. Well, Tom shot an 870 and drove an 80's Old's Cutless which he always turned the steering wheel hard right or left when he parked his car. Tom was a 27 yarder and also loved to shoot the high target games, Annie's and buddies. Not only was Tom a 27 yarder I think he also held the high California singles average for one or two seasons.

Well, Tom was always adjusting his his gun depending how the targets flew, this was before adjustable combs were common. Tom's adjustment method was to unscrew his barrel and whack it over the front tire of his Old's bending it upward or downward until it shot where he wanted it to, he may do this between singles and caps. His barrel looked like cooked spaghetti, but he didn't care he just wanted results..........

I asked Tom why do you do this, he said things change daily and you need to change as well, don't be afraid of making changes, the targets never are the same.

I know several top shooters who change their comb height between, caps, singles and doubles. I guess it comes under the heading whatever works for you.

Hap, you've been around long enough to remember Tom, I know your buddy T.S.has. God! Tom was a great guy, went way to soon.

Surfer

7. senior smoke

Surfer:
    With all respect due to Tom, if that worked for him, that was great. I believe, that most shooters can't due that and shoot consistant good scores.
    Steve

8. dead on 4

Steve, You have let the force be with you.......................

Surfer

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Surfer, yes! Many more of the greatest shooters I've ever seen did that same thing! They adjusted to the current conditions at a moments notice! Britt Robinson, Larry Gravestock and Gene Sears could adjust practically in a nano second!!

Surfer, I know you remember everyone taking a shot in the dirt before beginning a shoot? That practice was halted by ATA but hardly anyone knew why the top shots did that? They did it before beginning every event and soon everyone was doing the same thing! The reason? When Mother Nature was exhaling pretty good, they would pick out a piece of target where they'd normally break their target to see how much the wind drifted their shot patterns! It took me a while to figure out the whys but living in the windiest place in the country at that time, it didn't take too long!

Once at Bob Taylors in Las Vegas on a VERY windy day prior to starting the singles, a horrific wind began to blow and continued all day long! There were 2 scores in the 90s in singles that day. Britt shot a 95 and your's truly shot a 93! I made a lot of cash winning my class "B" trophy and Britt won class "A" money and trophy! Had I not paid attention, I'da never guessed or known!! Having the knowledge to adapt is key, regardless of what that change may be, pays off? I applied that same thing at the Autumn Grand during one of the handicaps when winds exceeded 40 mph plus! I won the 27 yard group belt buckle with my 95!! The list of top guns below my score that day was amazing! 106 top 27 yard shooters below my score! Like Britt Robinson always said, the wind is your friend, if you know what it's doing?

Hap

10. senior smoke

Hap:
    You guys are obviously a lot better shooters then yours truly.
    Steve

11. dead on 4

Steve, I'm not worth beans as a shooter, I'm just an old pot shooter who has fun and shoots a few program shoots now and then. I've been around trap shooting for a very long time and learned most from others by paying attention. Making new friends is the best part of the game for me.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.