1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lockheed Plant during WWII (Burbank)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Some really neat pictures of the Lockheed plant in Burbank during WWII. The camo job is spectacular!

before camo,

[​IMG]

after camo,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you are interested, you should pickup "Skunkworks" by Ben Rich. It is a very good read. He got his start as an entry level engineer at Lockheed and eventually became Kelly Johnson's replacement as the cheif engineer at the Skunkworks. It's a great book full of amazing first hand accounts.

-Aaron

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Great pics!

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Great pics....can you imange what those cars in the parking lot would be worth today.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Do you have any idea what a mint condition P-38 "Lightning" is worth these days. I could retire and live quite comfortably for the of my life with a different gun to shoot each day!

They did a story a few years back about an expedition that bored into the ice in Greenland to retrieve a P-38 that had been locked in the ice since WWII. It was still valuable enought to pull it out piece by piece and restore it to flight worthy status.

The 4 engine cargo plane would be a bit of a wildcard on value.

ss

6. skipsor

skipsor Member

We moved to North Hollywood in 1945 and I remember driving by Lockheed and seeing the camoflage netting still hanging on the buildings. Brings back memories.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Back in 1988 or so, I was part of a team of teachers going through old cume files at the Burbank Adult School offices. We ran into thousands of records for welding, soldering, wiring, sheet metal fabrication...all coded A, B or C shift. Classes ran from 5:00 PM to 5:am Mon-Fri and weekends too. Most of the graduates went on to work at Lockheed, Weber, North American, Douglass and others. if was really interesting seeing those names, mostly women of course, who became part of the war effort.They would be in their 80s now if they are still alive.

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Thank you for posting these. Somehoe I wonder if those really were better & simpler days. At 67 3/4 I still have brief glimmers of that era.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law installed wiring in B-17's and B-29's. Her special job was in the wings as she was very thin. Doing this while her husband was gone for 4 years. And serving with Patton's 3rd Army all the way through Europe. She is 92 and still alive. He passed away at 86.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.