1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Locked Up Americase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RunGunIPSC, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Somehow the #'s on my Americase got shifted,it locked up & I cannot get it open. It was set on "000." Called the factory,they said 'Start twirling.' Or drill it out & re-poprivet. Any ideas???

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

If you order the parts and take the time to drill out the old parts you can save time and money by doing what they said start at 000 and hit all the numbers. I would try all the 3 diget numbers first like 111-222 and so on. If that fails do all the numbers. We had a guy at the club have the same thing happen I hit the right number on the third try 444. It does not take long to go through all the 999 numbers.

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I agree with BernieK. It does not take that long to go through all the numbers. I bought a locked up Americase at a gun show a few months ago. I started with 000, 001, 002.... kept working on it a few minutes at a time during spare time intervals. Didn't take long; opened on 385. I probably spent less than an hour. (Of course, it would have taken much longer if the combination had been 999....)

Mike

4. WS

WS Member

I have a buddy who forgot his Americase combination once. I started with 000 and just went through possible combinations. I got to 781 and it opened, I recorded it in a safe place in case he forgets again :)

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Rungun, I had an issue a few months ago, a couple of youngsters started to spin my Perazzi case, I triied, to no avail, to open it , took it to Jenson lock aand key, for 20.00 they fixed it, best 20.00 I ever spent! take it to a local lock and key co. they know how to open it, no damage! ! incinerate em!

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Been there, went to my local luggage shop, he took it in to the back room and came out in about 2-3 mins with the case open. Make sure you go to a place that has been around for a while and knows what they are doing (if you know what I mean). BTW, no charge. I think Americase is full of BS. Since Kay left the companies priceing sucks and you will not get the same service she would provide. They know how to open the case, I am sure they would not sit down and start 001,002 etc. Good Luck.

7. Surfinmars

Surfinmars TS Member

RunGun,
    We would not respond to your situation by saying "Start twirling". The options we give are 3 or 4- 1)Go through the dials and try every combination, which as posted here, is not as daunting as one may think 2) Go to a locksmith as other have done. It should take them no more than 10 seconds to open the case 3) drill out the existing lock and replace it. There is no special number combination to open the lock. Cyrus, why do you feel Americase is full of BS? Mars

8. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I have had similar dial combination locks where if you look VERY closely you will see a tumbler pin on the side of the dials, and as the dial hits the correct number the pin drops in. So get your face into it and see if you can see anything, then start slowly dialing one wheel at a at time.
    Or google or search Uyoutube for instructional videos on cracking dial locks. I'll bet that they are out there.
    dju

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=opening+briefcase+combination+locks&oq=opening+briefcase+combination+locks&aq=f&aqi=g-K1&aql=1&gs_l=hp.12..0i30.65775.80161.3.83642.10.10.0.0.0.7.2615.16368.7-1j2j5.10.0.ckh.1.0.0.VEnWfQUJvb0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1edecb2460647b97&biw=1280&bih=713

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Responding to SunFinmars question. RunGuns originally posted that Americase told him to set to 000 and start "twirling", or drill out the lock and re-poprivet. If you read my reply to offer this gentleman assistance, I feel Americase's reply is ridiculous, when a Luggage shop or as you mentioned a Locksmtih can do it in no time. Why would a company that deals in such high-end cases, inform a customer to sit there for hours and "twirl" or chop up an expensive, and potentially ruin their product, when there is an easy fix. If you read my posting, I refer to personnel changes, and other issues, that in these unfortuate economic times, perhaps Companies should be more customer service friendly. Maybe another solution could have been proffered to RunGuns. This goes along with comments that many other T.S.contributors have posted recently, expressing unsatification with alot of corporations and individuals in the firearms industry. I prefer to deal with companies that offer quality customer service and advice.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cyrus- your post doesnt isnt rational

There is no "easy fix". When you talk to customer service and they tell you a way to try all the combinations- that is a reasonable solution.

They shouldnt be telling you to take it to a lock company now should they? Most people wouldnt like that. Maybe you would but most people wouldnt.

As far as pricing. Well just because they charge a certain price for their product doesnt mean that is bad customer service does it?

People expect something for nothing. It is like the people at the Grand walking down vendors row and talking to several shops about recoil pads. Some people just like to talk. The Vendor makes nothing from that and the person rarely if ever buys anything.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Gene, advising a customer to twirl all combo's may be reasonable to some, but to inform a customer to drill out a lock and re-rivet without the proper skills and/or correct equipment can create quite a mess to this guys $400.00 case. To me, this is not as you said a "reasonable solution" that Americase offered. BTW if money is a factor a new replacement combo lock is not free. I will still take mine to the luggage shop and get it fixed for free with no damage to my case. JMO. Cyrus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

meaning of runguna