1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Local Wal Mart Ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDMike, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I went into the local WalMart with my wife. While she was shopping I went into the ammo department like I usually do. While all of the pistol and a lot of the centerfire rifle ammo was sold out, they had plenty of shotgun ammo on the shelves. They limited a purchase to 3 boxes per person per day. I picked up 3 boxes of 410 2 1/2 1300 fps shells and checked out with no drama. Tomorrow I'll go back and get 3 more boxes as the store is on the way home from my trap shooting field. There was a lot of ammo on the shelves.

2. t7731

t7731 Member

Did they happen to mention why you were limited to three boxes? My Walmart is limiting it to two boxes and could not give a good explanation.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No limits at my walmart, but then again, they have nothing to sell LOL

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Why not buy a few flats from Graff's or Gamaliel's. Usually a lot less than Walmart even with the freight.

I bought 5 flats of Winchester .410's from Graf & Sons for $440.00 plus $17.14 in shipping. That is $9.14 per box. What did you pay a Walmart?

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Three boxes were the limit. However, I believe I could have takrn 5 boxes to the checkout and would have been fine. Their reasoning was to be able to serve all their customers fairly. When I had my hardware store there was a time that I limited purchases back the the 70's when we went through some shortages of certain items. I wanted to everyone to have enough of what they needed. That was my reasoning. I figured that if I had a product that was in short supply, someone might come in and buy it all and gouge people. As a matter of fact, boat bottom paint was in short supply and I had a large amount on hand. A big dealer came to me and offered me a great profit on what I had. My reply was thanks, but I'm keeping what I have to serve my customers. However, if he wanted 2 gallons, he was welcome to it. He didn't bite on the two gallons offer.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Farm and Fleet have a four box limit here in NE Illinois...

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't know why you waste your time at Walmart. Join a local gun club that has an FFL and put a group/bulk order in at a good distributor. It doesn't take many guys to put a pallet load together and the freight will be free from most distributors.

8. windyflat

windyflat Member

no limit at our local store in Watertown NY. Wife picked me up a bunch of 1oz top guns yesterday

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My local wally world didn't have but 5 or 6 100 count cartons and they had gone up to 25.67 a carton. They had a few boxes of 410's and 28's and that was it on shotgun ammo. NO 22's and only odd caliber center fire. Jackie B.

10. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Walmart is a major contributor to Obama's campaign fund. Why would anyone want to spend their money there and have it used against gun owners by Obama?

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Woops Paul7177, I didn't know that. That ends it with me and WalMart.... I dropped Progresive last month after learning their ties....

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

WalMart/Sams Club have historically oiven more money to Republicans than Democrats. This last election, I think WalMart gave 53,000 to Obama's campaign and gave 59,000 to Romney.

Check out above link

If they were real obvious about it, they would lose half their customer base.

Costco on the otherhand, gives a lot of money to Dems, and little to GOP.

One WalMart heir is a BIG supporter of Dems, but not the entire BOD of WalMart.

Search the net yourselves about WalMart vs Costco.support of the parties and check out other companies as well.

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Why would your club need an FFL to order ammo and components?

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Probably don't need an FFL. My bad.

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I was surprised to see 9mm 115 grain Federal on the shelf at our local Wally as they are always out of 9mm there. They are enforcing the 3 box limit on metallic here, so that may be why someone did not buy it all as soon as it was stocked.

No FFL needed with ammo but you may need a sales tax number in most places, to buy from a wholesale dealer.

Hope you are warm and toasty out there Barry. It has been a bit brisk back here.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Ours had barely any shotgun except 20ga and a few smaller gauge single boxes...and then some large odd rifle calibers...not a sniff of any pistol calibers or Rimfire of any size

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Three box limit here now, they still don't have much of anything. Lots of bird shot left, very little of anything else. Haven't seen a .22LR for sale locally in about 3 weeks.

18. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Barry R, I do belong to a club that has just put in a large order for shot, wads,powder and the like. I've got powder in the order (but don't tell anyone).

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My couple WalMarts are pretty much depleted of anything pistol/rifle and while competitive, try finding to find an associate in IL with a FOID can be challenge so they can actually sell you what you want...

Last year, some of you may recall the reversal of Walmart's previous strategy to divest themselves of firearms in their sporting goods departments and brought back guns and ammo to some previous locations...

Flip Floppers... Ol' Sammy would have told them what to do... his kids today just enjoy the money and don't have his heart...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.