1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Local TV story about Sparta range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terry_Maiden, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Please view this report on the Sparta club.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-you-paid-for-it-sparta-illinois-gun-range-20110620,0,3196308.story

For the folks in Illinois "You Paid For It".

2. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The "You paid for it" segment reporter Elliott Davis.....what a hack. Ranks right up there with the Jerry Springer show. Crap TV at it's best.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

A government facility that loses money? How could they tell?

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Relax it is just money. If the state ever decides to (it is a damacrap state so anything goes)all of a sudden be physically responsible we may be in trouble. The price of holding a Grand American may just "necessarily" (a word from another ILL politician) go up.

So to the taxpayers of Ill., Don't you holler don't you shout just turn then pockets inside out!

It really is just another case of government trying to run a private business. Government should do government functions and leave private enterprise to the people that know how to run a business. But if they had done that it never would have gotten built.

The ILL. state Government does not have the money to own, operate, advertise, promote, and they are not willing to work that hard to get it where it needs to be.

Build it they will come and we did and do come, but that leaves 48 weeks it running there at maybe 5-10%% capacity at most..

So don't blame us we are there doing more than our part you do yours get to work and fill it the rest of the year.

Rock

Jim

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The fact is the government wastes money, wasting it on a shooting facility is the lesser of evils as far as I can see. But then there are those who gripe about Sparta no matter what.

The reporter is a Geraldo wanna be.

6. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

I realize this was a St Louis TV station, but it's still tough to come to grips with the fact that our sport got in bed with that state's government. There are about 40 other states where I would rather spend my money.

We should be prepared for who-knows-what coming out of Springfield in the coming years.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd like to know where the $50m to $100m numbers are coming from, I don't know the exact attendance numbers at the grand, but even @ $50m, that would be 10k people spending 5k each (or 5k people spending 10k each)

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Skeet man- look at the buisness model

50 million hard cost doesnt equal 50 million in revenue to local buisness (which might take 50 years to get by the way- at the rate things are going. Assume local buisness only gets a 10 percent return on revenue after expenses.

The ATA was going to have several shoots a year. They didnt do that

And despite what the posters above have said- people arent coming to the grand-very few visitors and shooter numbers are way down. Vendors are way down

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Based on the report, all IL needs to do is give the grounds and facilities to the ATA to save taxpayers 1M a year. Then again, Sparta is just another state government bureaucracy keeping union DNR employees employed. Lots of them.

Maltz

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I Hate to admit it, but I'm the first to complain about the Govt. getting involved in any project like this. I.E tax payer funded pro sport arena's etc. And "IF" what the reporter said is true I can understand the complaints of the non-shooting public? It is a shame that it isn't a private entity if that's possible. Just my $.02

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Government took over (Taxes) and tried to run a Brothel in Nevada, it went broke after years of operation ... What kind of business could be easier to run than that and its the Governments specialty, "Screwing people" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If the brothel had just been in Vandalia all would be fine.

13. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Silver now that's the best reply yet that makes any sense!!!!!!!!!!!!Good Job!!!! Lets all not forget trapshooting was invented in Vandalia, Ohio..

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Brothels were invented in Babylon. Look what happened to them.

HM

15. pdq

pdq Member

I think they should move the Grand to Babylon.

Pete

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Trapshooting invented in Ohio?

17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Musta been. I just read it on the internetz. Gotta be true.

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

make it federal like camp perry or move it to where there are more trap shooters, like dallas or scottsdale. good luck with it

19. 100straight

100straight Member

"Lets all not forget trapshooting was invented in Vandalia, Ohio.."

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are... ha ha ha ha ha

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Was not invented there but sure as hell was perfected there by the best in the world.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.