1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

loads for handicap beyond 25yds???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

What do you all think of 1oz loads at the proper speed for handicap at 25yds and beyond? I have been thinking of using 1oz fro 16s and doubles for a while now. Any comments? I think with 1oz loads you need to use 8's or 81/2's
    haven't shot since June due to shoulder surgery so lots of time to let the mind wonder.
    mike t.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I think everyone else should use 1 oz loads.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike T I have been shooting a lot of 1oz lately and I like them. I load 1175 - 1180fps for 16 and doubles and I just started shooting 1oz 8 at 1235 -1245 fps from the 24. 1oz 8s at 1180 got me 4 punches this year so I figured that a little step up in speed should push me back at least once or twice before I need to go to 1 1/8oz if ever.

--- Chip King ---

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I've been shooting 1 oz loads for everything for the last year and 1/2 and have NOT noticed any MORE losses becuase I switched. If your on your game another 1/8 oz isn't going to make any difference. If you're off a little it may cost you a bird. I do swithch to 7 1/2 around 25 yards though but that in itself may not make a difference. I also use 7 1/2's when it's windy.

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

When I started shooting, it was 1-1/8 pushed out fast for everything. I discovered through trying other loads, the beating of those fast 1-1/8 was not worth the cost in recoil and pounding. I shoot 1 oz for everything, at about 1200 fps. Thinking about 7/8's honestly, as 1 oz has worked great. With a PFS stock, I could probably shoot 3" magnums all day, but why put yourself through the stress?

I am fortunate to shoot where Ron Alcoriza calls home, and he shoots all disciplines with light 8's, clear back to the parking lot. Since I can only dream of achieving his success, I suspect it is the person holding the barrel more than the shell in the chamber.

6. jimsw

jimsw Member

Here we go again worrying about things that don't make any difference. The comment on Alcoriza shooting light 8's is exactly right. Denny Devaux from Vermont won the GAH Handicap a few years back from the 27 with lights, 100 in the event and another bunch with no misses in the shoot-off.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, I've been doing a lot of load experimenting for the last three months. I didn't really believe the conventional wisdom before, and I have way less reason to listen to it now.

I have been loading 24g bunker loads and 7/8oz thru 1 1/8oz at various speeds. The bunker loads worked very well. Dramatic breaks, but way more speed and power than needed for ATA targets. I dropped from bunker speeds (1350fps) down to 8s @ 1285fps and had a Eureka moment. Waaaay better performance. Stunning patterns and breaks. I gave a box to a friend to try. He ran the singles and repeatedly asked me if I was SURE there was only 7/8oz of shot in there. I told him to take another box and shoot handicap. He got 24 out of 25 from the 25, and looked incredulous.

I then lowered the speed. I found that 7/8oz of 8 1/2s at 1220 to 1250 fps were all that was required for singles. I also found that 1oz of 8 1/2s @ 1220fps works extremely well from the 27. So the notion you need gobs of speed and/or big pellets is just bunk.

Try ouncers. You can use 7 1/2 if you like. It works and generates smoke. But you don't need that much energy, so why not trade that for some additional pellets. I've been shooting 1oz #8 at 1150fps for ever. Lately I've stepped the speed up to between 1180-1200fps. I've also been using 8 1/2s. I get 490 to the ounce, and that is more than is in 1 1/8oz of either 8s or 7 1/2s. So try 8s or 8 1/2s in one ounce loads. I'm sure you will like them, and so will your shoulder.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For patterning and target breaks I will take 1 1/8 oz at 1145 to 1200 fps till one ounce become madatory! If you ever do any load development or analysis you'll quickly understand the benefit of an extra 1/8 oz at maximum distances.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

1 1/8oz of what, Martin?

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Ahh Grasshopper, yield and overcome, bend and be straight.

Made it to skeet pad #6 shooting "Chinese trap", gun down with 7/8 oz #8 at 1150 or so. Basically 27 yd shooting all the way. One good trap shooter made it to 4 before using up his 25 shells and another broke 1 bird more than me at pad 6 with regular loads. Have to break 2 in a row before moving up 1 pad. Some never left pad 1 at the hi house.

I have had good 27 yd singles with 7/8 oz (a 23) but can't say it wasn't a fluke as I dont shoot that distance often enough to say.

As to breaks, I suspect it doesn't take many (1 or 2?) pellets to break the bird. I accidently shot 16 yd singles with 3/4 oz #8 in a skeet choke. Only hit 11 but they did break.

regards

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My 16 yard "gee whiz!" load is one ounce of 7 1/2's @ 1250. Same load for Dubs. I have gone to Promo for everything but Caps. Paul at Alliant showed me the light!

For the back fence, I like 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's at 1250. I use Unique for this load. Felt recoil seems mild, and the load really boils them with a 40 point Angleport choke.

Unique keeps the pressure of this high performance load under 9000 PSI. :^)

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

CB 3118-12AR in Rio paper hull, Rio primer, with that exact amount of Unique.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil showed us good pattern data about a year ago that demonstrated there is a very good chance that with 100 perfectly placed 1 1/8 oz shots from the 27, a target would be missed. There are holes in the pattern at that range that are large enough for a target to pass through. Using less shot will increase both the number and size of these holes. I use 1 1/8 of shot from the 27. My PFS takes care of the added recoil.

I am personally uncertain if I should use 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot (fewer holes) or 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot (greater velocity retention). I have enough other problems without making my holes larger.

Pat Ireland

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

19.5 grs. of 700X, Fed. 209A primer, 12S3 wad and 1-1/8 oz. of hard 7-1/2 shot.

Curt

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As our old buddy Frank Little used to say he was convinced that every so often a target would escape through a hole in his pattern-he shot 1 1/8oz. Shooting 1oz. loads means pretty much the same thing.

Until Neil pattern tests a few boxes of the old cardboard wad shells-the ones we shot when the 27yd. line was instituted-his results don't mean much. My guess is those old shells will yield aroung 65-70% patterns-much like 1oz. today!!

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

zzt, both 7.5's and 8's.

oleolliedawg. scores weren't as high then either..

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

zzt, both 7.5's and 8's.

oleolliedawg. scores weren't as high then either..

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg- You just gave me an idea. You know that can be dangerous. Lets not pour more concrete, lets not limit the shot to 1 oz. Instead, just eliminate plastic wads and go back to the cardboard over powder wad and two filler wads. A few of us remember which one goes in first and why wad pressure was important.

Whiz can figure out how to make my PW index after three strokes.

Pat Ireland

19. chipking

chipking TS Member

Ahh yes the smell of Federal basewads. The complaints about the dangers of basewad seperation. The controversy about shot wraps and using a wad punch to create a cup in the upper fiber wad for "much" tighter patterns. How much better chilled shot patterned than dropped shot. The good ole days. Humm come to think of it things really haven't changed that much. The really good shooters still win and the rest of us either seek the holy grail that will instantly make us the best or find excuses why the great shooters aren't all that good.

I like it Pat!!!!!

--- Chip King ---

20. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Too much work Pat. I'd just quite shooting or buy factory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.