1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

loading with fiocchi 616 primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

How much shot, what wad and how fast do you want to travel?

Bob

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Hodgdon, since they are the distributors of IMR Powders these days. They may be able to help you better than a few guesses on a forum. Not knowing what kind of loads you are looking for, it's difficult to even give an educated guess. In general, if you start with loads for the hottest primer listed (by looking at the data) and select loads that are in the 8000 PSI range, you MIGHT be able to make a substitution without issues. Unfortunately, there isn't much data out there for 700-X and the Fiocchi primers. Another option is to make an educated guess and send some out for pressure and velocity testing BEFORE shooting any.

3. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

I'm going out on a limb here and will surely get some grief for what I'm going to say but here goes.While Winchester primers are sometimes difficult to find I had to make other choices for my reloading applications and the 616's were my choice due to availiblty.With that said.....I load 17.2 grains of 700-x,pink claybuster,1oz of hard 8's,in a Win.hull and the 616 primer.This is the only load I shoot and it smokes targets for me.Booth shots in doubles and and if I do my part,also at the 25yd line.I have no data to back up this load and would NOT recommend that you shoot it but I have not blown up my Perazzi or any of the others that I shoot it in.As suggested,call Hogdon and see what they say.I would like to see more data on the 616's myself..........shoot fast!!!!!!!

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I feel comfortable in switching Fiocchi primers for Winchester in my trap loads. I use Claydot and Greendot powders and if you look through Alliant's Reloading Manual you'll find loads listed using both primers. You'll also see that the loads are indentical in powder weight, wad and shot. Even the pressures are almost the same. Take it for what it's worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.