1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading Winchester 571 powder questions???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have some OLD Win 571 ball powder, any data for loading the stuff? Powder is still sealed, but old, any issues? Thanks

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Jimborn

I have some old Winchester loading guides. 571 is a great powder for heavy and magnum field loads in the 12ga and for many loads in the 20 ga. The data lists old components and hulls. Let me know what you are intending to load and I can probably post some data. I have many pounds of the stuff and still use it. It's been around here since the early 70's and still works fine. It's close to the Hodgdon HS-7, if I'm not mistaken The old 540 was similar to Hodgdon's HS-6. My data is dated June 1973 and June 1975. The Remington RXP hull (similar to STS) is listed as well as the Compression formed Winchester AA. Pressures are listed in LUPs and can be outdated. The powder is listed for 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, and 28ga and the corresponding 3" versions where applicable.

It was a favorite in the "baby magnum" 2 3/4 inch duck and goose loads of the day, using 1 1/2oz of lead shot. Definitely NOT a 12ga Target Powder for legal ATA shells.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Exactly the same as HS-7.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

jimborn, if Quack can't help you out then maybe I can. I have alot of data for it but in 12 ga. your going to need a minimum of 1 1/4 oz.

5. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

i have a 1lb can of this powder and a ball reloading guide. the smallest 12ga load in the book using 571 is 13/8 oz. this stuff makes a great "back-up"load for shooting long yardage targets but will also punish you and let you know who is boss!! let us know what you are intending on using it for and someone will post some data or send me your mailing address and i will send you my reloading guide as i have no intentions on using this powder anymore!

6. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks a bunch guys! I really had no idea what the powder was designed for. Sounds as though I'll load some 1 1/4 #6's for those Ringnecks here in Western Nebraska. Thought I might be able to use it for targets, but sounds like it's more of a "field" powder. I bought 2 1 lb. cans for $3.00 at a garage sale, they were sealed, so I bought the stuff not knowing...what I bought. How bout a parking lot load with 7 1/2's??? Thanks again. Jim

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

These are all 12ga loads for 2 3/4" hulls. There is more data, I just doubt that you'd find the components listed for the rest, but if you have the powder, you might have the rest of the stuff as well. :) These are the closest to currently available components. Use the data at your own risk! It was published by Winchester in June of 1975.

1 3/8 oz loads are as follows:

Win AA Comp Formed Hulls, WW209 Primer, WAA12R wad or Rem 29926 (RP12) with 39.5 grains of 571 powder for 1330 fps. Both loads just under 10,000 LUPs.

Rem RXP Hulls at 1295 fps. Win WW209 primer, 37.5 grains of 571 powder, WAA12R wad or Rem 29926 (RP12) wads at 10,000 and 10,100 LUPS respectively. The RXP is very similar to the STS/Gun Club hulls of today. The dimensions are almost identical in the few that I have sectioned.

1 1/2 oz loads are as follows:

Win AA Comp Formed Hulls, Win WW209 Primers, WAA12R wad or Rem 29926 (RP12) with 36.5 grains of 571 Powder for 1260 fps. The Win wad at 10,300LUPS and the Remington at 9800.

Rem RXP hulls, Win WW209 Primer, 36.5 grains of Win 571 Powder, Rem 29926 Wad (RP12) for 1240 fps and 10,400 LUPs

There are loads for the 12 ga 3" shells, 16 ga, 20 ga 2 3/4" and 3" and 28 ga. listed in the guides as well.

I still have a bunch of the 1 1/2 oz loads that I assembled back when these guides were newly printed. They still work quite well, but I can't use them for waterfowl since they are lead shot loads. They are noticably louder and stiffer than most current day trap loads. :) For $3 a can, it's great fertilizer, but I'd find a way to shoot it if it hasn't deteriorated. For what it's worth, the same manuals have 452AA, 473AA, 540, and 296 loads listed for shotshells. If you find some of the older Winchester powders and need data, send me a PM.

8. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

ajax, what was the felt recoil like with 11/8 loads? I have loaded 13/8 with 571 powder and they sure let you know you were shooting 1 3/8 !I am sure that it was very dirty and alot of unburnt powder in the barrel. any idea on pressure figures?

9. Joe H

Joe H TS Member

Send me an email and I will send you a pdf file of Winchester's 15 Edition Reloading Manual. It has loads for this powder.

Joe

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I can say from experience that it's a decent powder for it's intended use. I'd seriously hesitate to use it for any reduced/lighter loads. There are much better powders out there for 12ga target loads. It is an excellent powder for handgun and heavier Shotshell loads in the guages I listed previously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester 571 powder for trap
28ga winchester 571 powder
571 ball powder

571 ball powder loads

how many grains of winchester 571 in shell

winchester 571 ball powder

winchester 571 powder reloading data
winchester western 571 ball powder load data