1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading Win. Fiber Wads - Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herb Roach, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Last month or so, I made a thread about the effect of the new plastic skirted wads on pattern density. Since then, one of our readers sent me some Federal paper at no cost and even paid the postage. (Which reminds me, I need to get him a letter in the mail with the cost of the postage in it.) Any way, I do remember that when I was shooting paper shells (because they were all I had), I was reloading 21 Gr. RD with 50# wad pressure and 1 1/8 oz. shot. Now I know that I can reload using Win. plastic wads but I am not sure of the amount of powder. If someone has a recipe for RD in a Fed. paper with 1 1/8 oz. please post it, or email me. Herb Roach

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

17/18 grains works for mw.

Ed Yanchok

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

From the Lee Loader (1963 vintage) charge table:

1 or 1-1/8oz, paper, 40lbs, 22gn Red Dot.

Which sounds about right.

Bob

[​IMG]

4. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

The note at the bottome said to reduce powder by 10% for plastic wads which would make it 19 gr. RD. A lot of good info on that Lee chart. Herb

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well it is 2010 and you are on a computer so the really big question is why are you messing around with fibre wads? You can load those federal papers with current production plastic wads and get actual current data from the powder manufactures to do it.

6. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Good morning Mr. Worfram: I started a discussion some time ago about the origination of the various chokes, and observed that shortly after chokes were invented, and at the invention of loaded shells instead of muzzle loaders, chokes were generally classified by the percent of shot in a 30" circle at 40 yds. My contention was that chokes were originally classified using the products of the time, namely fiber and felt wads, but today we have advanced the technology of shot shells with plastic wads and skirts that protect the shot, and it was my contention that older guns including my 1963 1100 were would probably shoot a full choke pattern with fiber wads and somewhat over full choke with plastic wads, thus, I only want to prove or disprove my theory. It is not my intention to ever shoot fiber wads again for any other reason, and after the tests are completed, I will put the fiber/felt wads back on the shelf where they presently reside. This is really a simplified version of the test I will perform, but you can get my intention. Herb Roach

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Being a vintage ammo junkie I can tell you that the fibre wad old style ammo won't perform as well as today's plastic wonders. And you are correct, gun chokes use to be a bit tighter, almost a rarity to find an older shotgun that isn't full choked.

Yet I feel compelled to uses some of my old paper Remington Express shells each fall on a few unlucky roosters. Something about that old stuff .....

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

We used to load 21grs. Red Dot with fiber wads for 2 3/4 dram loads and 23 grs. for 3 dram loads. That was a long time ago. Good luck on a very interesting project!!

9. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

What is the proper wad for loading Federal Paper Shells with 1 1/8 oz shot?

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

I think it was an H wad and 2-3/8" filler wads. If you have some of those old Alcan over powder wads it was probably less!!

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

IIRC (by memory), Air-wedge/H-wad (or 2 1/8" nitro cards), ½" waxed fiber wad, and a top nitro card for 1-1/8; one nitro on the bottom for 1¼oz.

I still load cupless bullets in papers, but now I use Gualandi Cushioned Gas-Seals. perfect.

Bob

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.