1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading resizer ever wear out?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Anyone ever have the resizer wear out? I'm concerned with reloading these steel based shotshells in particular. Thanks, Jim

2. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

Jim,

Why ask a question when you do not give any information on what type of press you are talking about. Surely you know that everything will wear out if used enough................Rick Johnson

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If you are refering to the resizer on a Mec or the Mec super sizer. I have only seen one wear out. It was a Mec super sizer that had 10's of thousands of steel base rounds through it, far more than the average shooter would use. I can't imagine ever wearing one out with brass bases. Seems to me the greatest need for the sizer is using steel cases though.

Robert

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

687, at this time I'm using an old Pacific 250 single stage. It's still tight and has never had steel based shells used on it. Its probably had 150,000 shells run through it over the past 40+ years. I guess if someone had another sizer for this press I'd better buy it. Jim

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I wore one out on an old MEC 250. Loaded some shells for my friend and they wouldn't even chamber in his J.C. Higgins pump. My 870 didn't care. It was the old ring type and saw a lot of high brass, but no steel.

6. psfive

psfive Member

Most of the brass colored bases on hulls are magnetic. Thus not brass. More than likley they take the same amount of force to size. Paul

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would imagine that if your firing pin wears out(assuming your a one gun shoter)it's safe to assume your resizer would too. I think that most wear on a reloader comes from lack of cleaning and lubing than anything else.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It all depends on the size of the chamber the shells were shot in and the size of the chamber of the gun you're going to shoot them in. HMB

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I had to replace the resize collet on my MEC 9000 when one of the fingers (or whateveryacallem) broke. Not sure why it broke?......I'm suspecting either it was adjusted too tight from the factory or maybe a stray shot pellet got down in there between the fingers.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.