1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

¿ Loading & Reloading Cheddite Paper

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I have my first bag of Cheddite papers in transit - but I have never even seen one before. Are there any hints/quirks/preferences/tips/features/bugs/etc. about loading and then reloading them a time or two?

Bob

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

They came in yesterday and I played with some ... yeah, they look like one-and-done.

They roll-crimp pretty good, and I might make up some hummingbird and bumblebee re-loads for my 2", but they are not exactly FedPapers.

Thx,

Bob

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In a 2" shell.. I would not advise a roll crimp with paper this thin.. They tend NOT to create enough chamber pressure unless you are using a fast burning powder.. My 2" are best made with AA's.. reskived after shortening.. I roll crimp in a drill press.. and they come out VERY pretty...
    Even the Federal papers I use to rewax the mouth before roll crimping.. Alot we get away with with a 2 3/4" folded crimp.. but the firmness of a crimp has much to do with powder performance..

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Fed 209a, 19gn of 700-x, plastic gas-seal, 5/8oz of nickle #5; it did OK on pigeons this morning, but it was definitely not prime beef.

I'm staying away from plastic more-and-more, and these Cheddites were an experiment, mainly b/c they are easily available.

Firmness of the crimp is EVERYTHING for good loads. This crimp was ... OK, but it didn't 'lock' (try to explain that 'lock' to somebody who does not roll-crimp).

PBB, You wouldn't happen to have a spare PPC HS-12 hull conditioner available, would you?

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.