1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

loading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BassMeat, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

I posted a while back about getting back into the sport. Still looking for a gun, but have started shooting field gun I shot with before to get back into the swing of things.

My question is, what kind of wads and powder you guys use?

I always used AA Hull, AA White or Red Wad with Red Dot and W209 Primers. Is this still a going thing, or is there something better out there?

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

It would seem that Remington hulls are now more desireable than AA since Winchester went two piece. Red Dot & Winchester primers are what I would be loading with except I could not find them. I understand that Promo does the same as RD for less cash.

3. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

Thanks for the info. I have some AA Hulls from the 90s that will probably be good, but I will have to look at the Remington. Fortunetely I have a bunch of primers and powder and shot still in a dry ammo box that I can use, especially with the state of ammo costs.

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Bassmeat- You've got the right stuff. Stick with what you've got till you get back into the swing of things. Have been reloading AA's for about 30+ yrs. and not had a problem yet. Not to say that there have not been problems.....Maybe I've just been lucky. Many great combinations of componets out there. Refer to factory websites for correct mixes.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Red dot, AA hulls, AA orange or white or a good clone, and 7 1/2s out of my 870 TBkenstien.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can not find any reason not to load the new AA hulls. Winchester has fixed the problem, if a real problem did exist. I see many shooters stating that they will not reload AA hulls but they have no hesitation about loading discount hulls.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.