1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading Nitro 100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Just got done loading up 17.3 grns of Nitro into AA shells with CB1100 1 oz wads. Cheddite primers. Anyone care to add their thoughts? I'm figuring a fps of 1265. Jim

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Nitro is my favorite powder, but it won't be yours with THAT loading! You are "off the chart" and your pressure is approaching dangerous! If you want to use Nitro at 1265fps, use a Remington hull. I have found that 16.3gr is about perfect for Hdcp. 15.5gr works great for Skeet, 1st shot of Doubles, 16yd, etc.

Back of a bit and enjoy one of the finest powders out there!

AndyH :)

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm figuring if you keep expermenting with un-published loads and pushing the pressure envelope you'll be missing fingers, eyes or worse yet. Not a real good idea playing the guessing game with reloads. If you don't want to listen to reason, take the loads out where your by yourself. Don't risk innocent people by shooting them at a club or shoot. Remember also, the first load may work fine but shoot several high pressure loads and you may find your guns breaking point. I don't know a whole hell of alot about reloading but i do know that much.---Matt

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

Jim,

Back off at least one bushing size. Page 18 of the Accurate manual shows 16.9 gr. as the highest loading with the components you mention. 16.9 drives your 1 oz load at 1250 with a pressure of 11,500. That's crowding the pressure envelope, I think.

Solo 1000 would be a safer choice for a fast 1 oz load.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

So why does the Lyman book #5 show a load going out to 18 grns? I went out and shot some today. About 200. Primers didn't show to be 'flat' which would be a sign of high pressure. No split hulls. No torn crimps. Nothing to indicate a problem. Jim

6. grntitan

Jim---Is that load at 18gr using the same wad and primer? Those two factors can make all the difference in the world.---Matt

7. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

New Nitro 100 vs Old Nitro 100. Your particular setup in the OLD data tops out at 18.5/1250fps/9600psi. The new data, as mentioned, is 16.9/1250fps/10606psi.
    The supplier for N100 has changed. Check your container. If it says Made in USA, you will also find a warning that it is no longer recommended for handgun loads.
    The old power will list Czechoslovakia as origin. There is great debate over what difference really exists between the two powders, if any. Old powder was flat disc, new powder, manufactured at St. Marks(Olin)is flattened ball. One possibility is the powder was reformulated, and Lyman tested with Czech powder. The other possibility is the powders are the same, and Accurate changed their testing procedure. Either way, I would stick to the current data from Accurate.
    pg

8. grntitan

xringjim---I still say you sound like a ticking timebomb. Its not the matter of a grain of powder versus velocity but a grain of powder versus pressure. Your at the upper end of the scale and playing. Matt

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Are there any others here that feel, like I do, that Accurate did us a DIS-service when it changed the formulation of Nitro 100 but kept the same name?

The powder weights, for a given load are not the same. It appears that the pressure curve is different. The physical look is different. The powder density is different.

Wouldn't it have been much better for all concerned, including Accurate, to call this new formulation by a totally different name? At least that way there should be no confusion about charge weights when using the reformulated powder. At least change it to something like "Nitro Improved" or such.

I do like and I use the powder for my loads but I weighed the first charges of the new formulation and saw some significant differences. That is when I had to get the new load data from the Accurate web site since I did not have any book that had the new formulation data. If you didn't check and weigh, the potential is there for some overloading and consequent higher pressures.

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Prydek,

I feel the same way you do. I have to use different bushings to get the same amount of grains on this new formulation. I finished an 8 lb jug of the new stuff and found an 8 lb and 3 - 4 lb jugs that I paid more for, but it was the old formula. I cannot say that I am 100% satisfied with the new stuff.

John

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Listen. if Lyman's latest reloading book had a questionable load I think they'd certainly print a retraction/warning. I'll check into this. Jim

12. grntitan

Jim---You asked!!! Remember this, and i quote "Anyone care to add their thoughts?" ??

We just gave some of our thoughts. Your gonna do what you want anyway it appears. So just do it and don't ask if you don't like the answers you get.---Matt

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, I have not looked up your load, and I will not. To many here say that your load max. is 16.9 grains. Your loading at 17.3 grains. That is .4 grains higher than the max on the data. This will not cause your gun to have problems today. Now down the road over time you will get less reloads out of your hulls because of the high pressures, and the biggest is it can fatigue in the metal of your chamber over time. This could cause your barrel chambers to explode over the long run, maybe in 2 years or maybe over multible years. "I say" take some nail polish and paint a even coat over your entire powder bushing and let dry. This should lower your powder drop around .3 grains and you should be good to go at no cost to you. If you change powders at a latter date simply use nail polish remover to bring it back to normal. Break-em all. Jeff

14. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

O.K., here's the OFFICIAL answer. I contacted Johan at Ramshot. He says my 17.3 load of Nitro is fine. Pressures ( he says) are in the 9000 to 10000 range. With a 1200 to 1225fps. Evidently there is quite a difference between 1 oz and 1-1/8th oz loads using Nitro. He did say there is a difference between the old and new powders. But, he gave no warning concerning a load of 17.3 either way. Guess its still low enough to work without much danger. I also contacted the 'tech' guys at Lyman's. The fella I talked to said he'll 'flag' the load for further testing before they print another book. Jim Price

15. grntitan

Looks like your fine then. Thats better than just guessing.---Matt

16. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Pyrdek: The change occurred when Accurate sold Nitro, Solo etc to Western Powders. Western is now producing the "new" Nitro. Roger

17. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Matt, aside from contacting Johan I could just 'tell' from shooting the gun that the load was fine. That, and all the previous indications I stated concerning the condition of the spent hulls. Thanks for your concern on my behalf. And to all the others that answered this post. Jim

18. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Roger,

I guess I will shift the responsibility for the powder name confusion to Western Powders. Maybe they could have called it "Nitro Western". Thanks for the updated manufacturer information.

One thing I noticed was that when I went to the web site for Western Powders, it now comes up with a company that manufactures tarps, covers and liners. I had the link entered before for the powder manufacturer. It looks like they are trying to minimize their identity as Western Powders in favor of their assorted branded reloading powders.

19. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
accurate nitro 100 load data
difference between solo1000 powder and nitro 100 powder
how to tell if nitro 100 is old or new formula
loads using nitro 100 old formula

nitro 100 powder

nitro 100 powder load data
old nitro 100