1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading large shot??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pipe Layer, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Loading on a 9000 H some pheasant loads for a friend.He wanted cooper 6'S , 1 1/4 ounce and they hang in my drop tube and dump on the upstroke making a mess.Anyone else have this problem or a cure?

Thanks,
    Terry Dean

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I load 4 shot I have something to tap the drop tube. When I start my up stroke I will stop at the top of the wad or hull and tap the drop tube firmly but not hard a number of times.(3 Times). You have to do that each time. Yes its a pain but its better then trying to clean up the mess.

Let us know how you do.

3. Pipe Layer

Thanks

TD

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have you still got your old single stage????? They are sometimes more forgiving. Or for just a box or two of hunting loads you could just weigh & pour the shot in after wad insertion. Large shot sizes tend to "bridge" in just about any drop tube, Auctioneers "tap" suggestion has worked well for me also. Ross Puls

5. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Buy the MEC steel shot kit. The drop tube is larger and rarely has a problem especially with size 6's. JW

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I have an old single stage Mec that I use to load 1 -1/4 oz of #6. And yeah sometimes you have to tap the drop tube. Some guys tell me they put graphite in their shot and that helps it go down the tube.

7. Pipe Layer

I had a guy tell me to cut the taper off the bottom of the drop tube then turn the bottom to the top so I would have a smooth end. He said it hangs in the taper at the bottom. Has anyone heard of this?

TD

8. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

make new drop tube,1/2 inch copper pipe. 6-1/8 long,debur and install works great

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Terry, that's true, shot will hang up in that tapered end. Chickenlegs has a good fix for loading larger hunting shot.

Hap

10. Pipe Layer

Thank you all for the help!

TD

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Terry.... Being a plumber, you should have a piece of 1/2" nominal (5/8" OD) type "L" copper in your shop somewhere. Cut it as chickenleg above said. It will fit in the old drop tube hole perfectly. I drop 4's, 5's, and 6's all the time for my meat shoot loads and have had no further "bridging" problems with my 9000H. I suggest you use type "L" copper instead of type "M" as it's harder and won't give......... Just my experience...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Try loading 6's and 5's from in a 28 ga!!!

I gave up and use a shot dipper. For the few boxes a year I might need that works well enough. I load hunting loads on a PW 375.

Don Verna

13. KYBLUE

KYBLUE TS Member

TERRY WE KNOW INSTEAD OF PHEASANT LOADS FOR A FRIEND YOU MEANT BUZZARD LOADS FOR THE 27 YD LINE THIS WINTER. SORRY THE BARBER MADE ME DO IT

14. Pipe Layer

OK, B.I, Tell the barber to kiss my ---.LOL

TD

15. KYBLUE

KYBLUE TS Member

TD DON'T REPEAT THIS BUT HE SAID FOR A COUPLE OF YARDS OFF HE WOULD KISS YOU ALL OVER

16. Pipe Layer

Now that just ain't right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.