1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading Federal No. 410 primers in 12ga?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scorpman, Jul 5, 2013.

1. scorpman

scorpman Member

I recently picked up some older primers in a lot purchase. There are about 800 Federal no. 410 primers. What are these equivalent too? Can I load these for a 7/8oz 12ga load in AA hulls with Red Dot? Or should I save them for a 20ga load that might be better. I don't shoot/load anything smaller. Thanks for any help.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If they're anything like the Remington 410 primers, they are MUCH weaker than a standard primer.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Just post them on a buy sell board at a local gun club for a fair price and move forward. They are not intended for 12 or 20ga use. They are meant for light charges. If you want to make some really bad 12 or 20ga ammo you can use them. Your choice.Jeff

4. scorpman

scorpman Member

Could you expand on what would be "bad" about the 12ga loads? Would there be slow or no ignition? Would they not work in the heat/cold? Too high or low pressure? I was thinking of substituting these in a 7/8oz 12ga recipe that calls for about 17gr of Red Dot.

5. APrice

APrice Active Member

You got two good answers. Sounds like you have already decided to do it and are looking for validation.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think they are hotter than a regular primer because the 410 uses a slow burning powder. If it was me I would load up a few and see how they work. HMB

7. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Cooler that regular primers. Use them in lusty loads.

Search tags for this page

federal 410 primers

federal primer no 410