1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading Fed. Papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Looking to start loading some Federal papers on my Mec grabber. Is the only part I need to change out the crimp starter? Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You really dont need to change the pre crimper but it does help to get a better looking load. That should be all you need to do but I would try it without the change out first. I loaded thousands without one, then bought a smooth crimper

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The smooth crimper is a big help. Get one.

Prior to using it, I would put a strip of masking tape around the 6 point crimp starter and mark a straight line on the tape corresponding to one of the points of the crimp starter. I would then rotate the hull to line up a crease in the crimp with the line on the crimp starter. This produced a near factory like crimp.

I keep my hulls dry and don't let them touch the ground. IMO, you don't need any type of heating tool to remelt the wax in the paper. If my hulls get damp, I put them in a target box in the attic of my garage and they dry out after a few days in the hot attic.

My load is 18.5 grains of Alliant Green Dot, a Claybuster 12S3 clone wad, a Federal F209A primer and 1 1/8 oz of magnum 7 1/2's. This equates to a 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 -7 1/2 load.

Ed Ward

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

18 grs. Red Dot, Federal 12S4, Federal 209A 1 1/8oz. shot. Turns Singles into mush!!

5. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I'm with Ollie. My favorite!

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

18 grains of Red Dot in a Federal Paper hull is a great load. I have loaded many of these and they smell great after firing. I have always liked Green Dot in the Federal Plastic Ribbed hull so this year I loaded some paper hulls with Green Dot. You need 1/2 grain more than Red Dot but both make great loads. With Red Dot I use the Claybuster 12C1 clone wad.

I used to load 18.5 of 700X when the real 12C1 wad was available. Then 700X became hard to find and I went to Red Dot.

Using Green Dot in Federal Paper and Plastic hulls, you need about 1 more grain of Green Dot in a Federal Plastic hull to achieve the same velocity (1145fps) as in a Federal paper hull.

Ed Ward

7. smthro06

smthro06 Member

I purchased the MEC paper cone crimp starter head for my 9000 machine and can't determine the proper way to install it so I left the 6-point crimp starter in and it works fine. The 8-point will crowd your crimp. If anyone can provide info on my trouble mentioned above, please let me know. The part being referred to is:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-Paper-Cone-Crimp-Starter-Head-634P/productinfo/130634P/

The standard starters have a much smaller mounting hole than the item above.

SF

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I put the smooth pre-crimp head on my Spolar do to papers. Then later forgot about it and was doing some once-fired old style AA's. They turned out perfect.

Now I have the smooth head on both the 800 Plus and Spolar.

Whiz

9. funclays

funclays Member

Does anyone have load data for loading IMR PB powder in fed papers
    Thanks Dave

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

1903 is correct. There is no need for a crimpstarter.

11. In plain view

In plain view Member

1903: Not trying to get you upset but the paper reloads you posted are terrible. Holes in centers, poor crimps etc. Both my Mec's, 9000G & 9000E produce perfect factory crimps and I havent removed anything. To produce a perfect reloaded paper hull on the 9000's "adjustments" are necessary. JMHO. Bob in Los Angeles-

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I dry my paper hulls for 20 minutes @ 175Degrees on a cookie sheet with a Aluminum Foil on it to keep wax off the cookie sheet.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I tried that cookie sheet drying technique once and sort of forgot they were in the oven. House stunk for three days and I'm under orders never to touch the oven again!
    Just leave them set for a week or so in the attic and they are as dry as they will ever get. No oven involved!

Big Jack

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I just knew that if I looked at Trap Shooter long enough (bout 20 years), I would agree with EVERYTHING in just one blasted thread!! Here it is!! I have loaded on all sorts of loaders and with all sorts of loads and components and have used almost everything (except PB) listed above and BY GOLLY I see nothing I disagree with!!

Just as a smart butt and add to the EXCELLENT information above: I can recommend 90gr FFg, one .020 over powder wad, one .035 wad and one 3/8 fiber wad with 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot for a really smooth load that runs about 1100 fps.
    Just drop one in your buddies bag during a practice round and hang on!!

15. Trapazoid

Trapazoid TS Member

You will also need a polished and or dressed collet as MEC calls it. Only MEC has them and you can generally pick one up from them at their displays. The standard collet often creases the hull down the side.
    I prefer Green DOT 21 grains 1 1/8 7 1/2, a great handicap load from any yardage.

16. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I'm loading Federal papers with 21 gr. of green dot, 12s3 wad and CCI mag. primers. The top crimp looks like factory but I am getting a slight roll over just above the brass. What am I doing wrong? Is it too much down pressure on the final station? I use a MEC 9000 H to reload. Thanks......

17. Calkidd

In Plain View: I will have to agree the reloads are not as desirable as I would want them to look like, but....I have tried to reload with the pre-crimp installed and found the edges would fold on me. It was suggested, I believe by Whiz White, to not use the pre-crimp. If it works for your great, but it will also work without one.

Bryan

18. Calkidd

Grade VI; One, it could be your final crimp station. Second, you are seating the crimp too deep and third, you're crimping it a little too much. Those are my suggestions.

Bryan

19. In plain view

In plain view Member

Bryan: Just for kicks I think I will try a few reloads without using the crimp starter. Tried this some time ago and wasnt satisfied. I dont know why but I'm very particular with my papers. One thing for sure if the target gets smashed, it doesnt matter what the shell looked like. Take care, Bob

20. In plain view

In plain view Member

Bryan: What did you mean when you said "edges would fold" on you and thats why you didnt want to use the crimp starter? Bob

Search tags for this page

federal paper reloading data using red dot