1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading copper bullets vs. Lead

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trappermike, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

What differences are there loading Berger copper bullets of the same weights as regular lead bullets? I have looked several places and I don't find the Berger bullets listed. Can I use the same loading data for the same weight bullets? Any tricks? No lead is allowed in the condor range and I would like to hunt pigs there. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The weight of the bullets is only one factor. the shape has a lot to do with the drag coefficient, and also flight characteristics depend on the ballistic coefficient.

Walt Berger should be able to give some information, but the accepted procedure is to start with a low pressure load with the same weight bullet, and work up frome there, looking for signs of pressure or to the velocity desired.

There will not be alot of difference, but if you are redlining your stuff I have to tell you a blown primer is no fun.

Call Berger or work up a load. (Doesn't Barnes have all copper available too?)

HM

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Watch out for flattened primers, so work up slowly. You may consider also calling the Bulletsmith and Sierra bullets.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you dont know the answer you better stay away from reloading rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.