1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading Brass Shotgun Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Red Butler, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Butler

Red Butler TS Member

I load 12ga Mag-Tec brass shells for my black powder cowboy action shooting.
    With the price of 28ga shells being what they are now, I would like to load the resuable 28ga brass shells using smokeless powder. Has anyone had any luck doing this? Formulas? Thanks in advance. Red

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

I dunno. There are a couple of potential problems.

Since the case is a balloon head, the higher pressures of smokeless, especially in the smaller gauges, might be an issue with regard to expansion and, possibly, bursting.

The more immediate problem is wads. Conventional plastic wads will rattle around in the large I.D. of a brass case and sealing will be an issue. If you use the fiber wads designed for the case you will loose the economy you want, not to mention a lot of time.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Rem had a run of 12ga a few years back . I shot about 15 out of a tin of 25 and all but 2 split. Dont know how many loads you would get with smokless powder. rick

5. Red Butler

Red Butler TS Member

Thanks everone for the input. Red

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

AA HS 28 guage hulls aren't that hard to come by, just bite the bullet and get some.

I would imagine an all brass hull would be a real MF'er in the sizing die if you were to try anything other than assembling the rounds by hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loading brass shotgun shells