1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

loading 20ga w/red-dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blackjaw, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackjaw

Blackjaw TS Member

I would like any information regarding loading Federal or Remington plastic hulls useing red-dot powder. i have been given a load that calls for
    13.1 gr red-dot for 1oz.shot useing a fereral 201-S wad. please advise any data that would be available
    Thanks Blackjaw

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Not to put too fine a point on it ... <i>DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE YOU TALK TO ALLIANT on Monday.</I>

RD is NOT a 20ga powder, and especially not with a heavy load (1oz 20ga IS heavy).

There are some non-published, private, tested RD/Promo 20 & 28ga lite skeet loads 'out there', but they are VERY picky and very delicate.

You're going to have some issues loading 1oz 20ga with any American manf wads, anyhow, esp in Rem hulls.

You can make 1oz loads in Federal hulls, but, please, NOT with RedDot.

Bob

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

NO!!!! Red Dot is a fast burning 12 ga powder, and certainly not used in a 1 oz 20 load. Blue Dot loads for 1 oz in 20 ga exist. Use the Alliant Reloading Guide listed above.

I have seen some experimental 3/4 oz loads using PROMO, a powder with the same burn rate as Red Dot. I would think only the most experienced reloaders would try it.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hodgdon's "International Clays" is a much better 20 gauge powder, Red Dot is a bad application.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This is OLD 3/4 ounce load data. As Bob suggested call Alliant. There are much better powders for 20 gauge than Red Dot. Be very careful, pressures are at the top end. Have the correct size wad cards for your filler. Good luck.

Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

Sounds like a PERFECT opportunity for another kaboom.

Jed

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find a more suitable powder and don't take the risk of damage to your firearm or injury to yourself and people nearby. Red Dot AND Green Dot are not powders that would be considered suitable for 1 oz 20 ga loads. Call Alliant and get the info from the source. There may be a few loads you could "Get Away" with, but it would likely not be worth the risk or trouble. (Note the three asterisks, hence three card wads used on the Federal data)

8. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I only use 3/4 oz for 20 ga when I'm using Promo. From Alliant I got an email saying to use 12.5 gr of Promo (same burn rate as Red dot), Rem primer, in Rem Hulls. This is the only load I use for 20 ga as the recoil is very light and my kids shoot it quite well.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Red dot powder worked great in my 20 guage shells. They were paper shells with card and fiber wads. Thats all we had back when. Alcan had a 1 1/8 ounce recipe for a 2 3/4 inch shell, great pheasant buster in my Fox Model B 20 Ga. Clyde Doll

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Alcan didn't have a 20 gauge Red Dot load for 1 1/8 ounces, no matter what kind of shell you put it in.

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

eightbore--I did'nt say I used red dot for the 20 Ga 1-1/8 load.I said Alcan had a recipe, Alcan # 7 powder OK. Clyde Doll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20ga load with red dot

2oga red dot loads