1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOADING 20 GA. HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i have been loading win 20 ga with no problum. i started loading some sts 20 ga with the same load and some times the crimp caves in. i know the sts is deeper inside. should i not push the wad in as far? i am loading with a hornandy 366, bushing # 345 = 17 gr win. wsf powder and 7/8 oz. # 8 shot with rem wads.. these are once fired hulls. any one loading this load?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The WSF Powder may possibly be the key. It's a very dense powder. Using a bulkier powder like Unique might be the cure. I don't load much in 20ga these days, but I remember some of the Winchester powders giving slightly dished crimps in some loads. A different wad might help as well. Some wads look a bit taller than others, but you'd have to measure the wads to be sure. If you are seating the wads on the powder with very little pressure, I don't think you could take up the slack by not pushing them all the way down. If you are crushing the wad, try backing off until the wad is just seated on the powder. Some might suggest a grain of cereal or popcorn to take up the slack. I'd prefer to get the right height with the proper selection of components.

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

You might have to use a different wad with WSF or use a bulkier powder with the Remington wads. As an example Unique or Herco would require something around a Hornady 393 or 405 bushing. The difference might add enough using the Remington wads to give a good crimp.

4. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

It gets pretty obvious when loading the 20 gauge that the Winchester AA hulls have smaller inside volume than the Remington STS ---- and then the Federal will be larger yet. Because of this, some component combinations work better in one hull that another. It is usually possible to find a combination that will work reasonably well in all of them with your loader set up to a compromise setting.

One thing to check first is to see if you are actually throwing a real 7/8 ounce charge of shot. Some bars and bushings throw light, and this will compound the problem you are having. The 7/8 ounce will work out to 382.8 grains, so it would be best to slightly work the inside of your bar or bushing if you are throwing much more than 5 or 10 grains less than that number.

The Winchester ball powder you are using is also a fairly dense powder so it doesn't take up much room. That is good is AA hulls but not so good in the bigger ones. I load 20 gauge with Alliant Unique or Hodgdon Universal Clays and they will use a powder bushing with a much higher number ---- so the powder occupies more space.

Finally, you can probably correct the problem to some extent by adjusting the crimp dies on your loader. As for the wad seating depth, you should really seat all plastic wads with at least a little bit of pressure to insure that the powder cup has pushed the powder level, but you don't have to collapse the legs. It really will not work to try to leave the wad up higher in the hull to take up more room ----your final crimp will probably just push it down further anyway.

A popular way to load the 20 gauge for 7/8 ounce skeet shooting target loads is to use Universal Clays or Unique powder and then set the loader up to crimp perfectly with the STS hull. With that set up, it usually will still work fairly well with either the AA or Federal hulls without adjustment.

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

686, I'm loading 15.5 gr. 20/28 with a 354 bushing, and have also discovered that the 20 ga. Rem RXP wad is too short for the STS hull. I now use AA wads or Orange Dusters and am getting a perfect crimp. But, as you should ALWAYS do, check with the Winchester loading website or published data to verify if these wads are recommended for WSF powder AND whether your powder charge weight or primers need to be changed as well. Pressures can get pretty high in the 20 gauge and components should NOT be substituted until verified with published data. ....Rick

6. 686

686 TS Member

IT LOOKS like herco would fill up the shell the most, then unigue, and international. does any one use herco ? how clean is it? how about unigue ? thanks

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I used to use 17 grains of WSF, but cut it back to 15 grains. I get perfect crimps with STS hulls and Winchester AA wads. Things you can do to correct the problem:
    1. Reduce wad pressure.
    2. Check shot drop weight.
    3. Lower starter crimp die.
    4. Adjust crimp die. HMB

8. 686

686 TS Member

this is looking like what i did when loading 410 years ago. i used win wads in rem hulls and rem wads in win hulls. all else the same. i will have to get some win wads. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17grains of wsf in 20ga

wad for 20ga federal hull

what is good powder to load 20 win aa huls with