1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loader question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a Mec Grabber in 28 ga and it works well. I recently bought a Hornady 366 and it is not an auto model. For approximately $160.00 I can send it back to the factory and have it remodeled to an Auto model. In your opinion is it worth it? Will it make that much difference in speed, ease of operation? Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jack, I have a 366 and it will put out about 400 an hr if I do my job. You decide. Mike

3. Shooting Jack

Mike, Is it a auto or manual? Does it have the swing out wad arm and does it completed shell fall through the hole or do you have to remove it? Jackie B.

4. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jack, it has a swing out wad arm and a hole for the completed shell. I put a hole in my bench with a pvc pipe going down into a 4 gallon bucket. Works great! Mike

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The best way to decide is to price a loader with and without the auto. Then get the price to have one added. Then do the math. I say buy one with the auto and sell the one without.

I was looking at a peace of equipment and asked if this and that could be added to it and I ws told it would be cheaper to just order one with everything you want on it. After adding what you want on it would cost you more. I ordered the item with everything on it.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "auto"? If you mean making it where the shell plate indexes on its own, the wad guide swings out and the shell drops thru the plate when loaded, YES definately get it done. If you mean adding the gas assist thing, don't waste your money. The Hornady/Pacific 366 model is one of the best loaders on the market. There is a reason why it has went unchanged in design for so long. It works.

Shells drop thru the table top to a container on the shelf below.

grntitan_2009_250316.jpg

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Hornady 366 with the auto advance is a really fast loader. It has "one stop" feeding meaning you only need to stop once in the cycle to load the wad and the hull. I can load 10 shells per minute on mine. That is 600 per hour not considering time out for refilling components. I can only load 9 shells per minute on my P/W 800 Plus with the Auto-Drive. If you ever tire from pulling the handle on the 366 P/W makes an Auto-Drive for it too.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have had the original D.L. 300-- Pacific (Bair) 350-- and the Hornady 366 they all will load GOOD shells, they do take some time to get familiar with, but so does any loader on the market. $ for $ the 366 is in IMO the best on the market, they will load good shells faster than you are likely to empty (shoot) them. As per "grntitan" there is a reason, if you look at the PW you will see where PW got their idea from. I just think the 366 is less troublesome & has a better primer feed system. Ross Puls

9. Shooting Jack

I appreciate your answers and intend to send it in to have it converted to auto index and fully reconditioned. I have the opportunity to purchase a 410 and 20 ga auto 366's for $300.00 total and will give them a try also. I will keep my Mec 9000 for loading 12 ga shells though. If the 366's load as well and smoothly as the 9000 I will be very pleased. Jackie B.

10. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jack, grntitan doesn't like the gas assist, I do. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.