1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** LOADED SHELL DROP***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by threedeuces, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have a P/W 800+ reloader and I was wondering what everyone does with there loaded shells that fall out the back of the loader. I have been letting mine just fall onto a towel and that stops them from rolling around.

Somebody had a pvc shut they were letting the cases fall down then into a bucket or something. I am just looking for some ideas for my set up.

thanks in advance

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well, i don't have a P/W but a Pacific 366 but here is my drop thru the table.
    [​IMG]

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I would like to add to threedeuces question. Any front drops with pvc on a PW 800+.

Threedueces... i was thinking of asking what you ask also.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I do the PVC to a 5 gal. bucket but on my MEC, the primer is up. GOOD LUCK

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have a hole cut in my table top with a large drawer under the hole. After around 400 loaded shells are in the drawer, I box them. hanging a 5 gallon bucket on a hook under a hole should not be difficult for a trap shooter.

Pat Ireland

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Isn't it possible that the edge of a rim on a dropping shell could detonate the primer of one already in the bucket??? Anyone know of this ever happening??

Ken Rucker

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ruck. I think the key is to hav ethe losded shells slide down a chute at a angle like as shown on Whiz pic. That will slow them. Another fellow took a container nad made rails out of wood so that the drawer cna slide in and out. I let em stack up in back till I get one under tha handle and crush it. Then I know I am ready to box em up

9. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Interesting question about the primer going off. Handn't thought of that. Mine just drop into a box below. However, the shot end is far heavier than the primer end, so less likely to have the rim hit a primer, and not much force either, the receiver box is only about a foot from the tabletop.
    I like the PVC reducing coupling idea, as sometimes I'll have a shell get sideways in the hole in the tabletop. I have a plastic piece around the entrance to the hole to keep the shells from missing and rolling around the table. I'm off to the Home Depot to get a coupling!

Jeff

10. grntitan

Thats why i have little parachutes on each shell from my 366 so they gently set down in the container. LOL>LOL-----Matt

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

We raised the OEM drop chute about 7/8" with a wood block (until it just touches the underside of the fully-lowered bottom crosshead) by using a sheet metal plate. One end of the plate is drilled to match the OEM holes in the base while the other end is drilled to match the holes on the chute to attach the block to the base and the chute to the block. The block sits on the base and the chute sits on the block. The plate just joins them together. A properly shaped piece of cushion foam under the chute gives it added support.

We cut a rectangular opening into the side of a suitably-sized plastic tub and set it on a piece of shelf foam on the bench top against the rear of the loader so loaded shells slide down the chute, through the opening and into the tub, (which holds about 150 shells). The drop isn't long enough to endanger the primers. When the tub is full it can be easily lifted around the loader to box the shells without crawling under the bench to retrieve a container or having to work around a bucket dangling in front.

Carol Lister

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Jim White...

If your "here" reply was to the request for info on PVC front drops, yours really looks like it drops to the rear if the position of the loader's primer feed is an indication.

Lister

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have seen Whiz'z and others like it and I would probably do that if to do it over again because it would be cheaper but here is mine and I got it from PW
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bucket swings under the bench when you need it to be out of the way

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Just curious, since I've seen a couple of set-ups where the loaded shells fall from the chute18-24 inches into a bucket. It's a non issue for me as I load on a Dillon and the shells go into a large bin on top of the bench.
    Ken Rucker

15. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Ken; Quite a few years ago one of the Granite Falls club officers at that time told me of one going off in the bucket he had set up beneath his reloading bench in his garage. It did involve a PW reloader and the shell dropped straight from bench top to the bucket below. His wife verified that she heard it go off in the kitchen. From what he told me it did little damage. If you want his name than PM me. Regards; Bill H.

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a setup like Pats. My shell fall into a box in which I have a piece of carpet. No problems so far.. Dave

17. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

EE, Do those Trap Special 5 gallon buckets come in left handed versions with adjustable handles?

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The shells on my 9000 tip over and fall crimp end first unassisted into a pvc pipe narrow enough that they can't turn, through the table, top into a milk crate.

19. grntitan

Dave P----What happens when the shell that passed thru the pvc narrow enough so it can't turn hits the shell before it that couldn't turn in the primer????

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

GRNTITAN: They seem to be all laying somewhat flat or close to it. I don't see a problem with the crimp end hitting aprimer anyway. I have been using this system for a lot of tears without incident one. It's not a hundred yard drop anyhow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.