1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load recipe for 12Ga, 1oz load, for sporting clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gousgouni, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gousgouni

    gousgouni TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    24
    Looking for a good recipe for a 12 ga, 1oz load, usins Remington STS hulls. I am planning to use it for sporting clays mostly.
    Thanks
     
  2. cafowler

    cafowler Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    Messages:
    323
    Location:
    NorCal
    Look at the Hodgden or Alliant websites for their reloading recipes. Decide on a powder, enter in the rest of the info and choose from dozens of recommendations.

    I like either a 7/8 or 1 oz load at 1300 fps or so. I use the 7/8 for most everything except a competition, then switch to the 1 oz at the same speed.

    try the reloading forum over on Shotgunworld.com also, lots of good info at that forum.
     
  3. 5 Stand Dan

    5 Stand Dan Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2011
    Messages:
    427
    Location:
    Texas (DFW)
    I would recommend Alliant Clay Dot, it's burns clean, it's prices is right, and made in the USA. I use the Downrange DRA12, I have friends that love the Downrange DRXL1. I also like the Green Dusters. I run my loads at 1250 fps, works great for sporting.
     
  4. Oregunner

    Oregunner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Messages:
    3,339
    Location:
    Oregon
    I use ClayDot and CB1100-12 wads, and run them about 1200 fps. Nice load that will break anything. Mark
     
  5. BigM-Perazzi

    BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    8,542
    Location:
    HELL, MICHIGAN
    Another vote for ClayDot...and the DownRange wads
     
  6. chuckie68

    chuckie68 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1,839
    Location:
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    17.5 Red Dot or 18.0 700-X

    CB-1100-12

    Win 209

    1 ounce #8's

    Chuck
     
  7. short shucker

    short shucker TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,939
    I push my 1oz sporting shells at 1235fps using Titegroup and DR wads. Pretty easy to figure out looking at the load Data on Hodgdon's website. I also push my 7/8 oz shells at the same speed (using Clays). I find it helps my shooting to have all my shells the same speed. This constitutes 90% of my reloads. The other 10% is 1180fps 1oz shells that I use for singles.

    ss
     
  8. gousgouni

    gousgouni TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    24
    It looks like Clay Dot is the most popular. I will look into th CB wads.
    Thanks to ALL for your help. Just got a MEC 9000 and want to start reloading.
     
  9. 5 Stand Dan

    5 Stand Dan Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2011
    Messages:
    427
    Location:
    Texas (DFW)
    CB wads should be fine for STS hulls, if you ever load AAs look into Downrange or Duster wads, the fit is a little better
     
  10. Ross

    Ross Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,646
    Stay with CBs clones in AA style or TGT Rem. style they are far more consistent than any other clone I've tried, Dusters are also good. Ross Puls
     
  11. hmb

    hmb Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    9,442
    Load 7 1/2s for the long shots and use 7 1/2s for rising teal and rabbit targets that run along the ground. Load some 8 1/2s for the close up targets. That way you can use an IC or LM choke for every thing. HMB
     
  12. Mark425

    Mark425 TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    841
    Favorite of mine and favorite over on SW.com is:

    Rem Hull, 17.5 gr. Clay Dot or Clays, DRXL-1, Win209
     
  13. leadhead358

    leadhead358 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    273
    Rem Hull 18 grains E-3, Downrange neon green wad, win 209 primer, 7 1/2 shot. Very clean burning powder NO RESIDUE and loads chroned around 1310 fps.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 ga loads clays
,

12 ga reloads loads for sporting clays

,

1oz shotgun load shoot high sporting clays

,
1oz sporting clays load
,
best choke for sporting clays 1 oz loads
,
clay dot for 1oz 12ga
,
fps for sporting clays 12 ga
,
reloading 12 ga for sporting clays