1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bozkm, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

Finally got all my reloading stuff and ready to start....

This is what I was going to try for my first loads for trap.

For the wife's gun, Berreta 3901
    1oz, Clays, Rem 209P Primer, WAA12SL wad, 17.6 grns..for 8100 PSI, 1180FPS

My gun, Lanber O/U

1 1/8 oz, Clays, Rem 209P Primer, Fig 8 wad, 19.2 grns, for 9000 PSI, 1200FPS

Both using STS hulls. How do these sound? I have already bought the clays powder and primers..just need to buy go get the wads.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Those will work, I'll bet you will like the 1 Oz load best. The 1 1/8 Oz load is starting to push the upper end of what you should do with CLAYS so you may want to back off a little on the powder.

3. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

Thanks...good to know. I also downloaded some 1 1/8 loads with Red Dot or Green Dot. If I decide I "need" 1 1/8 loads, I guess one of those powders would be better to try for my O/U? Also, when looking at the charts..what is to low of pressure...and to high of pressure? Is there an "optimal" pressure I need to be looking at? I thought I read somewhere to stay between 8000 - 10000. Thanks for the help.

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

My thoughts????? Stay with one load. 17.6 Clays, most any primer, I use DR XL-1 wads, 1 oz. shot. This will make life much easier. 1) Only 1 wad to buy, 2) only one setup on your loader, 3) more loads per bag of shot, 4) no confusion when its time to shoot i.e. "Are these her shells or mine?"

Have fun!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You need to be careful about the pressure units supplied by the powder manufacturers. Some units are psi some are LUP. The 1/1/8 Oz load you mentioned above is 9,000 LUP but it is probably closer to 11,000 psi. (top end stuff) If you drop the powder charge down to around 18 grains you will have a real nice 2 3/4 dram x 1 1/8 Oz type load that will be a pleasure to shoot and will do perform extremely well.

As far as what is too low of pressure, it depends on the powder but you will start seeing alot of residue in the barrel when the pessures get too low. CLAYS is pretty forgiving in that regard and the 1 Oz load you mentioned is one of my favorites so I can tell you it shoots as cleanly as any other combination that I know of.

Now if you really do want to make 1200 fps(+) x 1 1/8 Oz loads then get some Green Dot.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would hesitate to load clays that hot in a 1 1/8 oz load. I'd use Green Dot for 1200 fps - 1250 fps loads with the 1 1/8 oz. Leave Clays for the 1oz or significantly LIGHTER 1 1/8 oz loads.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Personally, I would use the Remington TGT-12 or the DRM clone for the one ounce loads. You will have zero fit problems, even if your wad ram or shot tube is misadjusted. When you are first starting, it is a good idea to stay with the components your hull manufacturer uses. Once you have some experience under your belt, you can try different wads.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am reloading 1 1/8 oz, Win209, Duster Windjammer replacement, and 18.5 grs of Clays for 1177 fps at 10,200 psi.

It is a very nice round and smokes the clays at 23 yards, hell I won HOA just last weekend with these loads.

9. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

I will second what a previous poster mentions about the DR XL-1 (neon green)1oz. wad in a STS hull..fantastic fit and they load slick as can be. These one ounce loads can crush targets and you can find published loads from light to hot. My favorites are with 17.3gr. of Clays/Clay Dot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.