1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load Help Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Someone please give me a load for a Fed Top Gun with Red Dot, with a 12SO and 1 oz shot and a Cheddite 209 primer. I suspect that about 19 grains will give about 1200 fps and that would do just fine. I have looked for loads on as many data sheets as I can find but I am not sure what I have. Is the Fed Top Gun considered a Federal Hi-Power with a paper base wad? I know it is not a Federal Target because they are all plastic and should have a smaller powder load. Is it considered the same as a Fiocci with a paper base wad?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

See if you can find data for those components in a Federal Gold Medal hull.

MK

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have data for Gold Medal but that should not be the same as a straight wall with a paper base. Gold Medal should be a bit lighter powder load.
    Thanks Jim

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Jim Porter

I load 18.4 grains Red Dot or Promo with the Federal 209 primer, 12S0 wad, and 1oz of shot. They run right around 1200 fps. Data from an old printed (1996) Alliant manual lists 21.0 grains of Red Dot with the 12S3 wad and 1oz of shot, Fed 209A primer at under 10,000 PSI at 1290 fps. The 12S3 takes up a little less room to allow for the larger volume of powder of the heavier load. I have no idea what a substitution of the Cheddite primer will do with regards to pressures and velocity. You might want to check with Alliant.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I have data for Gold Medal but that should not be the same as a straight wall with a paper base. Gold Medal should be a bit lighter powder load."</I></blockquote>When I still loaded Federals, Ben at Alliant powder has recommended using GM data for TG hulls a number of times to me personally. Call or email him for substantiation or Google gold medal data for top gun hulls and see what you come up with.

MK

6. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Jim

I agree with Unknown. Every load I have checked on with Aliant for the topgun hull, I have been told I could use gold medal data. I only load them a couple of times because I believe the paper base wad gets burned and changes shape the more you shoot them. Be careful substituting primers or any components for that matter. It may be too late before you realize your mistake.

I checked on a primer substitution yesterday. He got back with me in about 15 minutes. Go to Aliant website and click on "ask the experts" type in your information and your question. Be very specific as to the gauge, shot weight, hull, wad, powder and FPS you are trying to achieve.

It's too easy to find the information directly from the manufacturer to take a chance on your safety or that of your squad-mates to randomly make substitutions.

Brian "Robbie's Dad"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.