1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load for Top gun hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IM390, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IM390

IM390 Member

What's your favorite load using Top gun hulls?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have two (2) that I use for trap....

Top Gun hull:

1 oz. hard shot, 17 grs. of IMR 700X, Federal 209A primer, Federal 12S0 wad. Published speed = 1200 fps.

1-1/8 oz., 19.5 grs. of 700X, Fed. 209A primer, Fed. 12S3 wad. Published speed = 1250 fps.

I use the 1 oz. load for singles and both shots of doubles. the 1-1/8 oz. load for long yardage'caps.

Curt

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Loaded the following this winter and performed well.

Top Gun hull
    Fed 209A primer
    17.1 grs Red Dot
    Down Range XXLS 12g Orange 1oz
    7/8 oz

Regards

W&W

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

1 oz #7.5 West Coast shot, 17 grains 700X, orange Downrange DRXXL 1 oz wad, 209 Cheddite primer. Really nice load, breaks targets really well past 27 yards in our Custers (Annies) and other games.

I used to use Clays until powder became hard to find a couple years ago, switched to Titewad temporarily and had problems with powder blow-by with it, and a long-time friend told me to give up and try 700x which I did, and you know? There's a reason why guys have been using it for decade after decade. My husband and I really like the stuff! Not as clean but very dependable and "old school." No plans to use anything else. Jennifer

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I like the following loads in this hull:

11/8oz. #8 magnum shot, 17.2gr Red Dot, Green Duster wad, Cheddite primer for singles and doubles.

11/8oz #71/2 magnum shot, 22gr Green Dot, Down Range XL blue 11/8oz wad, Cheddite primer for handicaps.

I know the Green Duster and the XL Blue are "supposed" to be for a tapered hulls, but, due to the volume of powder dropped with the "Dot" powders, the hulls crimp perfectly on my Mec 9000H where the 12SO and 12S3 give me pushed out crimps with this powder combination.

Both loads have given me excellent results.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

IM390:

My favorite is an old Alliant recipe that I've loaded 25 years. It calls for 18.5 grains of Red Dot and a Federal 12S3 or clone. With these components, a Win209, Fed209, Fed209A, Rem209P or CCI209M can be used. The chamber pressure varies depending on primer used but they all run at 1150 fps.

The only one ounce load Alliant ever published for this hull was a 1290 fps version. You can email Alliant's Ben Amonette at Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM for additional one ounce options.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

drxxl orange cheddite

drxxl orange cheddite hull

imr 700x recipe federal top gun 1 oz

loading top gun hulls

orange cheddite hulls