1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load for 1 oz using Green Dot in Feds. & AA's ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Load for 1 oz using Green Dot in Feds. & AA

Would like to reload some 1 ounce Feds. and AA's with Green Dot. Would like a fairly quick load. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Thanks, Rick Kipp

2. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Go to the "Reloader's Guide" tab to get any and all loads you might want to use.

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Stu: A little help here. I can't see a "Reloader's Guide" tab. Where is it located on the site? Thanks, Rick

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rick... I have found that Green Dot is not really well suited for 1oz. loads. It is a slow burning powder better used for 11/8oz loads in the 1220 to 1250fps range. For a great, quick, 1oz load, I prefer Promo or Red Dot. You can find the Promo loading data on page 30 of the Alliant reloaders guide. Excellent 1oz. powder..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rick... The tab is near the top of the page right next to where it says "Home"......Dan

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rick...... Mash on the above link.....Dan

7. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Look at the upper left hand corner, see where it says Alliant Powder? Now directly under that there is a tab that says "Home" and directly next to that is the tab that says "Reloaders Guide".

Just click on the above link if ya seriously dont see and cant find the tab. Ya know if ya cant figure out how to find it now maybe ya might want to reconsider reloading since ... well good luck.

8. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Don't be fooled Green Dot is a great 1oz powder and there is alot of data out there. I like 19.5 gr in a AA with a Green duster wad or tgt 12 or in a gold metal go to 20.5 and a 12so wad these are both light loads to pushem to about 1345fps. in a Gold metal try 24.5 grs with a 12so or greenduster in a AA try 22.5 with a fig 8 wad these 1345 loads are 28 gram international loads found in the 2002 alliant loading booklet. To push them even faster I've used my favorite heavy 1 1/8 oz loads with the only change being the 1 oz of shot. Green dot is bulky enough for good crimps even using the 1 1/8 oz wads in these loads. You'll have to find those loads yourself. Some of the softest shooting 12 ga loads you will ever find are 1oz greed dot loads

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

winchesterm12:

Alliant Powder Company doesn't tout Green Dot (GD) as a "great" one ounce propellant. They publish one ounce GD data because GD does in fact, make an adequate load.

If you go to Alliant's webpage and look at the 'Products' section and you can confirm for yourself what Alliant thinks really ARE the best uses for Green Dot. Here's a cut and paste hint for you:

Principal Purpose: Handicap trap loads

Secondary Uses: 20 and 28 ga. target loads

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Looks like too much to me by a couple of grains for that Gold Medal load, according to the Alliant 2009 data on the website.

Neil

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Thanks guys!! I went into the sites for green dot and solo 1000 and found some decent stats for both (in AA and Federal hulls). I bought 2,000 pounds of lead shot and other components last week and have plenty of empties to load. Today I loaded 100 Remingtons with one ounce of 7 1/2's for a trial run. Maybe I will do some Federals tommorrow before the weather gets too hot. TRAP 2.....thanks for all your help Dan!! Say HI!! to your dad for me..OK?? Also thanks to Neil and the rest!! Rick Kipp.... Texas

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'll do it Rick.... Tomorrow is his 85th birthday and he is planning on shooing a shoot at El Dorado this weekend.....Dan

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Sissy, Green Dot is a great powder for the 1oz load, for me. Heck I even use it with my 7/8oz load. Granted I use a little more powder than the folks that shoot a hotter powder but I'm happy and you know what they say; happy people break more targets....GOOD LUCK

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Once you start pushing 1 oz. in the 1330 plus range.. Green Dot is an excellent powder.. For 24 gram.. up to 1350 I perfer Red Dot /Promo 28 gram under 1300 also Red Dot/Promo.. as that 1 oz..starts getting over 1300 fps.. the Green Dot gets very useful.. very quickly.. Look at International Bunker Loads.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz trap loads with green dot