1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load equalizing anti sway hitch??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dward, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dward

dward Member

I'm getting a 28 foot Work n Play trailer to take out to Idaho hunting. I plan to tow it with a diesel Excursion. The trailer weight is about 7500 and the gross rating is about 13,000. I'll probably be in the 10-12 range when loaded with gear. I've been looking at hitches and will probably get a Reese or Equalizer. As the rig is rated over the 12,000 I see Equalizer has a hitch for 12 or 14 and I was thinking of getting the 14 to be safe. I know there is a more expensive Hensley that's quite a bit more expensive, but as I'll only be using the unit once a year I don't think it makes sense.

I know there are a lot of experienced trailer haulers (to shoots) on this site and looking for advice/experiences.

Thanks - Dan

2. Hooked

Hooked Member

I run a Reese Dual Cam weight distribution hitch on our 10k lbs Jayco TT and have had no issues with it. I have heard that the Hensley is great and worth the money, but its price just put it out of my reach. The Reese unit is easy to set up and adjust and the sway control is outstanding - at least on our trailer.

We tow with an Excursion as well and our max tongue weight is 1200 lbs. The toy hauler that you have sounds like it is at or near the limits of the Ex., so you best be careful on how you load your trailer.

For great information and helpful advice, I suggest you sign up on the RV.net forums. The folks there will provide you with a lot of hands on experience/input.

Brian

3. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

dward

when, location in Idaho and what are you going to be huntin?

ROGER A. - IDAHO

4. dward

dward Member

Roger,

We hunt elk in the Selway near Elk City. I live in MN and we've been going since 1988. Getting sick of the wolves of late though! Where you at?

Dan

5. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

Dan

i'm in S.E. Idaho over by yellowstone and teton parks, yes the wolves are bad and have dropped the elk herds all over the state of idaho, but they are gettin thinned out abit (if you know what i mean)

Roger

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

anything like the thinning here in Mt? Our herds our way down also.
    Nice seeing you again Rog.....see you at the hoppe.

Rick in Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.