1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load Data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mv49112, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mv49112

mv49112 TS Member

I need to know what loads I need for the local clubs meat shoot?
    The last shoot went well untill the first shoot off, we were shooting from the playground. I thought to myself, I might be out of my league... The shells they were shooting were pretty hot. My Lyman manual lists, Target and Field loads. I might be missing something, but these boys weren't loading from the manual.
    I have an 870 with 2 3/4" chamber, shooting AA hulls Fig 8 wads #7 1/2 shot and 17.5 Red Dot with Fed 209A primer. This load performs well from the 16, I change to full choke and they do ok from the 27. I missed everythin from the giggly weeds.....

any suggestions?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you raise your guns POI to compensate for the effects of gravity on your shot string? HMB

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Your load looks good, is it 1oz. or 1-1/8oz? Most guys that I shoot with past the 27 use a heavy game load recipe. 1-1/4 to 1-3/8oz. using 4,5, or 6 shot, 1250 to 1330 fps. Wayne

4. mv49112

mv49112 TS Member

hmb- POI= point of impact? yes I covered the bird with the barrel, normally I have a 6 o'clock hold. I will have to search a bit for the propper point.

wayneo- 1 1/8OZ.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

You say they were shooting from the playground. Exactly how far is that?

You need energy to break targets at any range and I suspect them ole boys your playing games with may have outdistanced your 7.5's. Many use 6's and I hate that pellet and use mostly 5's. Besides pellet energy you need to hold the shot together for long distance. I buffer but this is another level of learning done properly. Some will advocate super sonic rounds for parking lot shooting but remember, that ole shoulder is going to get sore after an hour. A really good recipe is a 122o fps with 1 1/4 oz of shot. Then you just have to learn how to point them back there.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Guy buy a box of Remington Nitro Sporting 7 1/2's(1300 fps). This is all the shell you need unless it's very cold.

ss

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

short, you got it. Those things thump.

HM

8. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Try this website. You might get a little more information than you can from here.

Jack

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

1 1/4 oz, quality 5's or 6's in a good wad at a bit over 1200 should do the trick, IF that is an allowable load. Some clubs restict shot size and speed. Whatever you do, don't use someone's pet load unless you double check the data against what's published.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Man that FNG throws a flashy spinner. Could be a contender!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.