1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Load Data needed for Black Powder!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have a lb of Swiss 2fg black powder and would like to load up some 3 dram shells. Please give me some info?

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

dram is 1/16 oz = 27.3 grains. Three drams OF BLACK POWDER was a common load; about 82 grains. Three dram EQUIVALENT is a smokeless load of the same velocity.

Remember, remember, remember.....BP is measured by volume, not weight. Use a black powder measure calibrated in grains -

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

The old saw is to use equal volumes of black and shot. This works out to about 75 grs for a 1 oz. load and 82 grs. for a 1 1/8 oz. load. 2-F is good for shotgun loads. Most folks go up a shot size with black (e.g., if you use 8 in your smokeless load, use 7.5 in the black). Don't load black into plastic shells or use plastic wads; it will cook the cases and leave honking long strings of plastic in your barrel.

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Both responders are spot on. Look up Circle Fly and get wads. I have chronographed loads with felt wads and fffg black (ffg would be better but I didn't have any). 1 1/8 7.5 with 80 gr it rounded off to 1100 fps, 85gr to 1150 fps and 90gr to 1200. All were very close and dram equavilants seem to hold true. I did weigh these charges with a black powder approved scale. Then went to a volume measure after I satisfied myself that they matched ok.
    I load these in a hammer double and bismuth shot and it is a hoot on ducks and very effective at 30 yards. Oh and by the way, I clean the bores with foaming spray brake cleaner from the auto parts and then oil as usual.

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

A word to the wise from a muzzleloader shooter.

After you get done playing with that dirty nasty black powder BE SURE TO CLEAN AND CLEAN AND CLEAN your gun AND THEN CLEAN IT AGAIN with something such as Hoppes number 9 plus black powder solvent. Lest you will have a fine shotgun covered in RUST!!! Spent black powder sucks the moisture out of the air and attacks anything it comes in contact with.

CLEAN IT AGAIN

Chuck

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Forget cleaning with Hoppe's and just use good old ammonia based glass cleaner.It will clean off all the residue and neutralize any of the corrosive salts than may have been missed. Then re-oil the gun and life is good again.

Also remember that Black Powder is measured by VOLUME and not weight. Make up a dipper out of a metallic case that holds one ounce of shot and measure out the same amount of powder.

Swiss powder is awefully fancy stuff just to make gag shells out of.

ss

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try 85-90 grain (volume) in a STS or AA hull and top that with a WW red wad then use 1 Oz or 1 1/8 Oz shot. (1 1/8 oz don't crimp well on some loaders.) Use a hot primer like the Federal 209A.

You will get abunch of plastic in the barrel but it cones right out with a Armour-all. I use to shoot a bunch of these in SASS and they perform like regular trap load with the addition of lots of smoke.

As a precaution, hand measure the black and dump directly into the hulls - don't charge through your machine as there is a possibility of ignition with real black and a loader that has moving ferrous parts.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

"remember that Black Powder is measured by VOLUME and not weight."

Black powder is like all other powders in that you use weight to find out where you are or where you need to go. Once that matter is settled, you can switch to volume-measure for your throws, providing you are using the same brand and granulation of powder. Aside from being dirtier, the process is no different than what is done for any smokeless load, be it shotgun, rifle, or pistol.

9. det131

det131 Member

Equal parts:

Rubbing alcohol (90%)

Murphys Oil Soap

Hydrogen Peroxide

Cheapest, simplest, and easiest black powder cleaner you can find.

Jim

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cleaning with any petroleum based product is a disaster for black powder. You will have an ugly mess if you do.

I use the Thompson stuff in my rifle, never a problem. I also do not lube with any petro products, I use The Thompson bore butter. Old timers used bear grease.

I realize you are not shooting a rifle but the same things apply.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ugly bore black powder shotgun