1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LJUTICS LIKES & DISLIKES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

LJUTICS,
    If you have previousely shot or currently shoot a Ljutic what are your likes / dislikes. How is the resale value ?
    Thanks,
    BILL

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It will outlast my shooting days...seems to run like it's supposed to...Owners have an either love/hate relationship when they shoot one...when it breaks everything right they love them ..when they miss, you guessed it HATE! I bought mine to shoot, not to consider resale value. Consider it like a car, it will depreciate and if you save it long enough, it will be worth a good price.

Big Jack

3. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Bill - I absolutley love my ljutic. I have a centennial that I have shot about 4 weeks now and shoot it well. In the past I have owned 3 ljutics and learned to shoot them in a very short amout of time. These guns are built around the american shooter rather than the european shooter like kreighoff and beretta. these guns have very few internal moving parts so there is very little that can break on these guns. in my experiance a new ljutic loses about 20% of its value once its been fired but stays at that price for a long time regardless of its condition. The two best things about a ljutic are they are an american made gun and they cost half the price of a silver seitz or a K-80 and can out perform both of those guns. hope I could help. aj ansley

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've owned a Mono gun for about 3 years, and it has taken that long for me to figure out how to shoot it consistently. It is a 70-30 POI, and I have trouble shooting it in wobble shooting or when it is windy outside. The reason is when shooting a high gun, it's hard to get under the low birds.

But for regular ATA events I'm getting more and more impressed with the gun. I'm averaging 97.0 in singles over 7 shoots this year and 93.0 in handicap over 7 shoots this year.

As far as reliability, it is superior to most guns I've seen. The only time I've had an issue with the gun was during an ATA event in the middle of summer (a very hot day) the comb on the buttstock came loose. The aluminum bracket that holds the comb into the buttstock actually came loose and fell out. I took it home and re-glued the bracket into the buttstock and it's good to go. There are some 1/8" diameter pins that will wear out in the trigger that need to be replaced from time to time, but that's about it.

I won't be selling it, so I don't care about how much it's worth. But from what I've seen the Ljutic's loose about 1/4 to 1/2 of their value after a couple of years of ownsership. Most Ljutic's go for around $3200 to $4000 range that have been used.

Kevin

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Bought my Ljutic last October and now I'm wondering why I waited so long.

I love everything about mine. Low recoil and it points just like my old Model 12's I used to shoot.

I bought the one with the easily adjustable rib. Go from 100% high to 60/40 in about two seconds. Love it!

Won't be trading this one off, so I'm not worried about it losing any value.

Only wish I'd listened to myself 25 years ago and bought one way back then.

Oh well, better late than ever.....

Hauxfan!

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I've owned a Mono 34" fixed full choke for four months now. I bought it used on TS.com. My average has gone up and that is the only reason to own a trap gun; to shoot better scores. The new and newer Ljutics are prettier, but mine shoots as good for less $ so I am pleased as punch.

Pros:

1) Simple.
    2) Heavy.
    3) Easier to swing (less muzzle-heavy) than my previous trap gun.
    4) Inexpensive for the quality. Great value.
    5) Great support from Ljutic.

Cons:

1) Doesn't like steel hulled shells.

2) Expensive parts and service if you ever need something. I paid $15 for a spring. It solved the problem though, and the Ljutic gunsmith knew exactly what this problem was so I guess it beats sending it to a factory service center to be charged freight, gunsmith time and being without your gun for months.

3) No combos so you need a doubles gun.

I haven't broken 100 yet, but I have had two 97's in a row so I don't think the problem is the Ljutic.

HBT

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought my X73 26 years ago and have never had the feeling I should "upgrade" to anything else. I've nver shot a high rib gun or an unsingle so don't have anything to compare it to. I just know that I've put around 30K rounds through it and it's never failed me.....and resale value is a non-issue as I'll never sell it.

8. dlhelton

dlhelton TS Member

I have enjoyed my Mono Gun for 33 years after 30 years and a few bluegrass farms through the barrell I had Ljutic rebuild it.....I hope i can have it rebuilt again after another 30 years.........they work.

9. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

What I like about them. Most everything.

What I don't like about them. I don't own one yet.

That will change sooner or later though.

Rick

10. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Dislikes: O/U is expensive

11. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

I've owned eight Ljutics over a 35 year period, and been happy with all of
    them. I've sold or traded guns to upgrade or change rib styles. I now have
    a mid rib that's just about perfect.
    If you buy a used gun, call Ljutic and get an owners' manual. It will explain
    maintenance and there's a section on shooting thst's worth reading.
    As for resale value, I've heard all the stories too about low value. I haven't experienced that though. I bought a mid rib from Joel Etchen in 2002, traded it to another dealer in 2006 and got more than I had paid for it.
    The dealer had a sale for my trade in so that had a bearing on it too.

12. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

There's not much to dislike about Ljutics other than the fact that some don't like steel hulled shells. They don't break, and they are just target crunching machines. I've had 2 Ljutics that I did my best work with, but I fell to a moment of stupidity and traded my last one in on a Kolar combo. It won't be around much longer, and I will replace it with a Ljutic of some type. Now the shopping begins... :D

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ljutics are great guns, but here is a thought. I was at a shoot the other day. A shooter was susing a Ljutic o/u. His gun was malfunctioning. His father who is a gunsmith said the prints for the gun were lost & he has been machining his own parts in order to get it to function correctly. Now if you buy a gun from a small family operation. Get a supply of what could possibly break. Because as we all know, in this economy any company can go away.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I shoot a Perazzi now but have had two Ljutics, I think they are a great gun and they are very durable.

Now get dlhelton to tell everyone about his "Pigeon Grade Ljutic".

Charlie

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

As in my handle Ljutic111 , I shoot the 111th Ljutic made and I love the gun . I`ve had this gun for 13 years . Had a slight problem once but that was fixed by me and it was something simple like the firing pin was dragging in the hole and all it took was a file to make it work as new . Yes I can`t shoot steel based shells so I just use STS reloads . If I was a younger man , I would have invested in an O/U and saved a bunch of money in the long run and still have been satisfied with one gun for everything . They just won`t wear out .

16. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I bought a fixed full choke, mid rib Mono gun #143 last fall and I'm very happy with it. Recoil is a non issue and I'm shooting it quite well. Meaning; on average....better scores than I normally average. Recoil is not an issue. No cheek slap. I love the balance, feel and the workmanship (looks) of the gun.

BUT...it DOES NOT like reloaded steel hulled shells. Easy Fix; DON'T use steel hull reloads. Have not had any extraxtion issues with ANY reloaded brass hulls so far.

I paid what I thought was a fair price on a lightly used gun, with zero defects. Resale? I could care less as I don't intend to sell it.

FN in MT

17. Gil

Gil Member

Upon my return from Europe I bought a Ljutic Mono gun Stainless. I was on the 26 from my earlier us targets and promptly went to the 27. Since then I have gone from the 27 to the 26 4 times and now again on the 27. That did not happen with my Remingtons or Brownings. I had a problem with doubles and bought a Stainless Bi gun. That corrected much of my doubles problems but not all. I am now a strong A shooter but not an AA doubles shooter. Subsequently I bought another barrel for the BI-gun just in case the mono gun broke. So far, the combo barrel has not seen service. Nothing lasts for ever. My mono trigger had to be repaired after 70,000 rounds. The set point changed by 4 pounds. My Bi-gun broke a sear and cost me dearly. I am 72 and don't plan to buy any other Trap guns. I think these will last me. Used Ljutics are fantastic buys. As to the O/Us, I would spring for a new one, if the pocket book agrees. Before I bought the mono gun I sent to Seitz for info and never received a reply. So I went to Yakama and the rest is history. Not everyone can shoot a Ljutic, but I think most can. Good luck. George Miller

18. furface

furface Member

i shoot a olymic rib monogun, i'm pleased with it & love the long shot string. it's built like a tank with little to go wrong. The down side is it is akward
    to open and trap the shell once the release is set, a small thing. Good luck and ask Ljutic shooters at the clubs you frequent. I don't think you will find a Ljutic shooter that doesn't love their gun. Joe

19. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have 2 Dynokics and one just sits in the safe. I look good with my Perazzi's but can't consistenly run 100 with the Perazzi's. I can pick up my Ljutic and it just must fit me better as I can shoot much better with it. I had a Mono also but couldn't shoot it as well and sold it off. The Pro's are that they just don't break down. Not as pretty as my MX 2000 but it shoots better. I haven't taken any worse trade-in value with the Ljutic's, they don't seem to want to give you more than 60% on any of the expensive guns. I'll shoot some of my other guns but I will never sell my Dynokic. I wouldn't mine trading a MX 2000 on a Sietz, they feel like a good gun also. Glenn

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I bought my Ljutic in 1987. I don't know how many shells have passed through it (many, 80% reloads). Nothing has ever been replaced except the stock. I installed a PFS when they came on the market, and a release trigger last year. As stated before, it does not like steel hull cheap shells. But, I've never had a brass hull stick in the chamber. Is it a good gun? How can it get any better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.