1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic's In General.......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of checking Ljutic's out at our state shoot coming up.

I see that they have a Black Diamond Ljutic and it looks to me that it has the "in-line thrust type hammer". Is this right?

According to the picture they have of one in Shotgun Sports, it does not have an adjustable stock. Is this because you can't when you have an in-line thrust hammer?

Does this help with the recoil and does it work the way it was intended. Or is this just a marketing ploy?

Has anyone acquired one of the new Ljutic's with the adjustable rib, and how do you like it.

For Ljutic owners.......Would you recommend the in line thrust hammer over the traditional type Ljutic's? If so, why, if not, please let me know.

I'm going to be looking at them at our state shoot starting the 22nd of July, and I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can about them.

So please voice your opinions, pros and con's, for and against.

It is deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Hauxfan!

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The Ljutics are one of the most simple, durable trap guns made, and have withstood the test of time for over 40 years. Essentially, they are hand-made, one gun at a time. The removable trigger assembly is elegant in its simplicity...it is a hammer-type, not the in-line thrust type, and is quite consistent. They are soft-shooting and handle very well. They have lost marketshare in recent years due to their apparent "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality...but new ownership is creating new ideas...for example the new adjustable rib. I have a Black Diamond with the fixed "Centennial" rib, and think its as good as anything that is available. Ljutics, for the most part, look "distinctive", and may not appeal to everyone aesthetically. Also, its easy to be influenced by hype, like "the Ljutic is an out-dated design"...but, I don't buy it. Its simply a great gun. I would speak to someone who has lived with the adjustable rib version for a while, as moving to an adjustable rib may be the only reason that you would ever want to look for another trap gun.

Relative to the in-line thrust hammer...probably a bit more refined, quicker lock time, etc., but I doubt if I could appreciate the difference at all...and I am a former IPSC (USPSA) shooter where trigger control is crucial. Ljutic has recently gone to a carbon silicon hammer spring which should assure consistent performance for years. Also, after watching a friend have trouble over and over again with his very high $$$ trap gun with a thrust-type hammer...which he soon sold, my guess is the Ljutic is more reliable. And finally, the Ljutic is very easy to work on yourself. All VERY good. Only negative? Will the company survive? An Angel Investor is pumping a lot of $$$ into the company now, but if he will continue is an issue. But then someone else may come along. They do seem to be doing a lot of things "right" these days, such as substantially upgrading the wood that they use...hopefully, they will be around for many more years.

WNCRob

3. biff

biff Active Member

Haux, the reason the new Black Diamond, which by the way is built on the Monogun receiver, looks like the Centennial Pro thrust hammer gun is because the adjustable rib is only on the barrel and doesn't go back on the receiver.

I have owned and shot both guns and feel the thrust trigger may be a little more superior as it was a later design than the older Monogun trigger. I saw and held the new Black Diamond at the Ohio State shoot at the Shotgun Specialties booth and talked with Doug Wolke. He said all the BD's have the lightweight firing pins,and the Chrome Silicon hammer springs which will give you a little more consistent and slightly faster lock times than the older previous Monoguns. The wood on these BD's is all upgraded and beautiful and matches the higher adjustable ribs, which are higher than the older Olympic rib guns in keeping with the "high rib" craze going on in the industry today! The balance of this gun is superb and in keeping with how all Ljutics are made, will last a reliable lifetime! Rob's comments are right on! Thanks, John Payne

4. Hauxfan

Thanks everyone for your comments. Lots of good comments and I appreciate it.

Biff, Did you happen to notice what kind of price they had on that Black Diamond Ljutic?

I've seen pictures of one, and it has me drooling, but if it is to much, I can always keep what I have or go a different route.

Thanks again.........

Hauxfan!

5. biff

biff Active Member

Hauxfan, I remember looking at the price sticker, but don't remember the actual price as I'm happy with my Centennial Monogun that Shotgun Specialties had Ljutic build to their specs like they have the Black Diamond. The fixed rib on my gun is ,750" while the BD is higher than the Olympic which is .925", not sure how high it is but my head was erect with both eyes level. Tempting yes, but I own two Centennals already.....a person needs only one Ljutic, no backups are necessary! Biff

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

HAUXFAN Seen two at a State shoot yesterday . One was $9,plus.00 I don,t remember the rest . Nice looking gun but I thought let someone buy it and then let me buy it from him for half . I have no idea why LJutic,s sell so poorly used . One of the best bargains in trap guns is a used LJutic .

7. Hauxfan

Thanks for the heads up on the price, Alf, I think that may be a tad higher than I want to go.

Maybe one of the lesser grades or even a good used one may be the way to go. We shall see.

Hauxfan!

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Hauxfan Indiana Gun Club has alot of used LJutic guns . Last winter I counted 52 used LJutic,s . Also they have some new LJutic,s I,m going to Indiana Gun Club tomorrow (state shoot) and will look around for you .

ALF

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Haux, is this an approved purchase by shootlow?

10. Hauxfan

PheasantMaster, you know it's not approved by Shootlow. He'd still have me shooting an old .410 single, with a hammer and a pull trigger and no front site. Probably make me use No.12 shot for handicap too.

Alf, sounds good, let me know what they have out there.

Hauxfan!

11. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Hauxfan,
    I have one of the new adj ribs. It is a great gun, however it is sale it or a stainless ljutic that i have. I am going to sale the adj rib. The only reason is I have always wanted a stainless ljutic and I finally traded for one that I can shoot. My adj rib has a cut comb, an adj pad and is choke tubed, It also has polished sides. I can send pictures tomorrow if you have any interest. I was planning on posting it tomorrow night on TS. I would like to get 6300 plus shipping to your ffl. Thanks.

Jerry Nickell

12. Hauxfan

Thanks, Jerry, but I think I'm going to wait until our State Shoot next week before deciding what to do.

Besides, I'd want to be trading my Kohler off if I do any trading at all.

Hope you understand.

Good luck an early sale.

Hauxfan!

13. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hauxfan, I have owned 6 and still have #2885. Probably the best trap gun made, and I have owned a bunch. Perazzi, Krieghoff, Ljutic, Beretta, Marrochi and a few more including Kolar. This business about the trigger may or may not be true. Ljutic's trigger is one of the fastest lock time's in the business. I personally cannot tell the difference in Krieghoff and Perazzi or Beretta. I also have shot the Seitz and find no difference in it and the Ljutic. The thing that is impressive about Ljutic's is they are so easily cleaned. When and if you ever have to change a firing pin, it takes maybe 2 minutes. Also, if you fly up there, they will fit you for your stock at no extra charge and you can choose your wood. Upgraded wood is higher. The nicest people to deal with in the business. Flawless workmanship and a target breaking machine. The new Black Diamond with the high rib should be a fine gun for life. Doug Wolk can help you with any of your needs. How many of the trap gun co's today will offer you choice of wood, rib height, barrel length and weight, stainless or chromalloy, forearm width, adj.comb or regular, choke and barrel i.d. Do you want a stainless receiver and blued barrel, no problem or vice-versa. Gold trigger plain trigger. Stainless trigger in a blued gun, no problem. It really is a custom shotgun. Rollover comb , regular comb. Adj. butt pad, done there. Hope this helps, Roy

14. Hauxfan

Thanks, Roy, now I'm more confused than ever..... ;) Just kidding.

Just looking to get one I can shoot and that's about it.

Hauxfan!

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Hauxfan Doug Wolk has a nice Black Diamond 34 inch ADJ. rib cut comb with a release trigger new for $7600.00 out the door .

ALF

16. Hauxfan

Damn, Alf, I don't know if that's good news for me or bad.

I have to admit you made me drool.......lol lol

And he'll be in Cedar Falls Iowa in another week....

Going to be along week.

Hauxfan!

17. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

From Doug Wolk at Ohio State Shoot

Black Diamond Ljutic/2 Chokes/Pull Trigger/Exhibition Wood $9730

Case Included, It is not an americase, and He said it is much nicer.

Tax on the sale is $681

Total $10411

Doug’s number is 1.800.344.7468, that number automatically forwards to his cell phone which he always answers. Shotgun Specialties is the only place selling the black diamond. He sent some higher grade wood to ljutic for the grand guns to be made from, that is a rumor I heard. The exhibition wood on the one I shot was excellent though.
    Everett F. Haley, Jr.

PS: Talk cash he will knock about $1600 off the total price, just a heads up. I am most likely picking mine up at the grand. Shot it at the state shoot and LOVED it! The rib is very solid yet easy to adjust, low recoil for a lighter ljutic and smokes them from the 27 with the improved modified choke!

18. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Hauxfan, I met Doug Wolk at the Kentucky State shoot and he showed me the new Black Diamond with adjustable Rib then he fit it to me right there in the trailer and told to help my self to the line I shot it 50 rounds sweetest shooting gun I have ever shot, I started on the 16 yard line and and just kept moving back with ever crush I quit when I was still crushing them on the 30 yard line , I am going to clean out some guns out of the safe to get me on of these also. I believe he had $9100.00 on it I am going to wait a little while to try to find a deal . Super nice person that Doug Wolk....... Ricky

19. Hauxfan

Thanks for the info, guys.

I will be checking them out muy pronto...........one of these days.

Hauxfan!

20. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Hauxfan, I know where there is a fixed rib gun very similar to the "Black Diamond" Its a Monogun with a stainless receiver and barrel block; Significantly upgraded custom stock by Wenig, and Centennial rib...the Centennial rib seems to be between the mid-rib and the high Olympic rib. I think it shoots 70/30 or 80/20. This is a very nice gun. Drop me a line on MOnday if you want me to put you in touch with the seller.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.