1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

What is the difference between a hooded versus non-hooded receiver? Pictures would help.

Thanks.

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Hooded reciever

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

Thanks Rick.

4. 3357

3357 Member

when did they make "non" hooded recievers?

5. larry prior

larry prior Member

ljutic went to a hooded receiver about 1300 serial number

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Mine is in the low 1400's and has the hooded receiver. Hooded started in the late 70's. I have others in the 900 range that are not hooded. When I asked Ljutic what are the advantages of the hooded barrel the response was: NOTHING!! I suppose it was a change just for the sake of change (something different to get buyers excited). When I compare shooting the hooded versions vs the older non hooded versions I can tell no difference. The only way to tell is open the gun and look. Marc

7. Garry

Garry Active Member

Marc,

What differences are you looking for when you open up the gun?

Thanks,
    Garry

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Actually some powder blow by through the rims that were cracked, the hood shrouded the gases, per Al Ljutic.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Garry I am posting a picture from a while back of a Ljutic 73 that was for sale here on TS.com Note the face of the receiver and barrel are flat just like 99% of all single barrel shotguns. Compare that to the hood on the barrel and notch for that hood on RickN's picture. That is the difference between the two.

chipking_2008_0303102.jpg

--- Chip King ---

10. luvtrapguns

Garry, If you break open the gun you will see an extended "HOOD" over the rearmost portion of the monoblock. This hood comforms to and fits flush with a machined recess in the face of the receiver. When the gun is closed it would be difficult to tell the difference between hooded or not.

Dr.Longshot,

"Actually some powder blow by through the rims that were cracked, the hood shrouded the gases, per Al Ljutic."

Would you have us believe that Ljutic would provide a "shield" to protect us from defective barrels rather than correct what you describe as a very serious problem? Do you actually believe that all the old Ljutics (non hooded) are just waiting to explode?

I have owned Ljutics dating back to Mono Gun #196. I have bought. shot, and sold at least eight other Ljutics seeking the "ONE" that was just right for me. Finally found it in a Pro 3 LTX. I have had dozens of friends with Ljutics and have never once heard of the flaw that you seem to think exists. The most often heard remark I hear about Ljutics is: I had one, loved it. Wish I had never sold it.

NOTE:

The barrel from a non hooded Mono Gun will fit on a hooded version (may require minor fitting as with any barrel exchange) and function perfectly. Of course this leaves an undesireable "notch" at the front of receiver. A hooded barrel will work perfectly on a non hooded receiver simply by machinging off the hood (once again, may require minor fitting as with any barrel exchange).

Personally, I find no advantage or disadvantage to the hooded barrel. I see no reason to exclude hooded or non-hooded from my shopping list.

Marc

11. 3357

3357 Member

I thought Longshot was refering to cracked/defective rims on shotgun shells, not the barrel.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The story I heard years ago was someone confronted Al with the fact that they could put a piece of paper in the breech, close the gun and pull it out.

Al got pissed off and changed the design.??????

Regards Gerald

13. luvtrapguns

Gerald, If you could slip a piece of paper between the monoblock and the receiver the gun would be "off face". A condition that could be very dangerous. To remedy, a new hinge pin would have to be fitted and/or service performed to correct excessive wear. I can not believe Al would attempt to cover up an obviously dangerous condition by making it so that you can no longer see or measure it. Remember the old saying: "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see".

3357, You are probably correct about the rim fracture. If that is the case, my apologies to Dr Longshot. I know of no other gun that provides this "HOOD". Certainly not the Perazzi. K guns perhaps with their sliding top latch mechanism. Marc

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

It was kinda like when they put a high lift horn button and knee action shocks on the '38 Chevy.