1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Triggers - Those Who Know ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Once awhile I hear some comments about the Ljutic trigger. Most comments reference that at times they become inconsistant. It doesn't seem like it happens to all of them because many people praise the brand with decades of dependable service. Myself I own Ljutic Stainless #202, it's a mid-rib and fit for Left Hand. Love the gun BTW. I would like to hear comments from people who have experienced these issues. What takes place in the feel of the gun while shooting that makes you begin to think you have a problem? I have experienced some things while shooting this gun that have me thinking about the trigger, I will post those later on in the thread so I don't solicit a biased opinion. Thank You, 'mb

2. Guy

Guy Member

The inertia of a Ljutic trigger puts stress on the roll pins of the hammer.....just rotate the pins every now and then....and switch sides. You'll shoot it a long time.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The theory about inconsistent triggers has to do with the Cocking Rod. This rod is free floating and doesn't need any lubrication. If some debris gets in there, the rod may not float freely. This could impede the movement of the hammer.

That's the theory.

I have never noticed any irregularities in my trigger. In fact, my trigger gauge showed it to be the most consistent trigger of any gun I've tested. I love it. Crisp, no creep and just the right weight for me.

I have now switched to a release trigger. If anything, this one is better than the original. You won't hear any complaints from me.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I shot a Ljutic for many years and during this time I experienced 1 broken hammer pin. What I did was buy a box of 1/8 X 1 inch 18-8 dowel pins and replaced the pin a few times a year. Ljutic will charge about $4 per pin and you can buy a box of 100 pins for about $10

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My specially-ordered 2-barrel Mongun set with serial number 2300 or thereabouts had a trigger that was mostly 3 and a half pounds, but would occasionally drop to a few ounces and go off way before the gun got to the bird.

I did all the pin changing as so on. It persisted though I kept it for a couple of years.

I was 180+ straight in the Clay Target in about 1990 when it went off with a couple of ounces of trigger pressure. I took it to Elmer, got about half what it was worth, and considered myself lucky.

Everyone goes on and on about the low number of parts in a Ljutic trigger. The fact is, there are not enough. (I read today that there's been a redesign for considerable cost.)

My Monogun was junk. I paid in excess of $8000 dollars when that amount of cash was close to twice what it is today. It had a fatal design flaw. Guess how I feel about Ljutics.

This is a private communication.

Yours in Sport,

Neil

6. Guy

Guy Member

One more thing....Al told me to use STP for trigger lube.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Yep, the pins probably should be replaced once a year..a 5-10 minute job that anyone can perform. And lube the trigger sear and hammer sear interface about each 1000 rounds with a viscous lube. I use Gunzilla, a very light, almost dry lube, to clean the cocking rod race and the cocking rod itself. Leaves no residue that I can see. To me, it is a great trigger, is easy to maintain and keep at optimal performance.

WNCRob

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do Not Snap the Ljutic Trigger when it is out of the GUN it will break the HAMMER PIN.

I feel the Ljutic Hammer pins are TOO SMALL IN DIAMETER, too much stress for a 1/8th inch pin.

Lube the trigger as suggested.

There is a new design Ljutic Pull Trigger, same as release trigger w/o release hook.

Very Good Design Thanks to Pat Mcarthy of Dawsons, Ljutic Utilized it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I'm not entirely sure the issues I am having are trigger related thats why I asked specifically what were some of the symptoms guys were having to question trigger.

Specifically now I'm going back when i got this gun roughly 9 months ago. I shot the gun great for several months then developed a problem. The best I can describe it as follows; at some point in the round randomly, when pulling the gun up to shoot a straightaway from any station right at the point I'm pulling the trigger I feel a little tweek and damn if it doesnt seem like the trigger increased in pull and caused just enough resistance that I notice a small twitch at the end of the muzzle of 1/4-1/2 inch causing me to shoot over the bird.

I checked the trigger and damn if it wasn't set at nearly 8 lbs. I sent the trigger back to Ljutic and had them set it to 3.5 lb. I got the trigger back and for the last 1500 birds or so everything was great. No more muzzle flip and shooting over the birds. Well it happened a couple times last time out, same scenario. Rechecked the trigger and it is set to 3.5 lbs

I dunno, had one person tell me it may be the start of a flinch. I thought it felt like a trigger issue. Not sure yet.

10. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

This is odd. Hard to believe that the gun came from Ljutic with an 8lb trigger. Something doesn't sound right. Do you lube what I call the sear...where the trigger and the hammer mate? Use a light grease or heavy oil. In my opinion it should be lubed about each 1000 rounds or so. Hold the hammer back and make sure you lube the parts that engage each other. If these two surfaces are badly worn or improperly fitted, there will be issues...either very light, erratic releases or heavy release. I wouldn't attempt to polish the surfaces yourself as the angles are critical. If you are, in fact lubing it, I can't imagine what it is without seeing the trigger assembly. Its very easy to disassemble and check out for rough mating surfaces, etc. A good tool to get from Brownells is a spring removal tool. Its like a stout blade screwdriver with a slot in the blade. Makes removing the hammer spring a snap.

WNCRob

11. buster45

buster45 Active Member

It does sound like the starting symptoms of a flinch.Mine started on straight aways I thought I had a trigger problem.If it continues and it is not the gun start thinking release.

Buster

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Change the pins in the trigger, it is easily done, drive out the old ones with the new ones, then use your trigger pull gauge and see if it drops back to 3-3 1/2 lbs.

This is happening to a large number of Ljutics.

Some pins bend, some break, and some wear on one side, all create trigger problems.

If that does not work change the spring under the trigger, Ljutic used to sell new firing pin spring, trigger spring, and new pins for $25.

Gary Bryant

13. JTEA

JTEA Member

The pins can wear out of round in time, better the pin that the hammer. Replace them often. Ask Mark at Joel Etchen's, he had one that got lighter and lighter, finally figured it out.

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ljutic release triggers
ljutic trigger
ljutic trigger pins
ljutic trigger removal proceedure

ljutic triggers

lutjic triggers