1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic thoughts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I have been thinking about a Ljutic, can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of the 73, Mono, I have been shooting a 4E and a Tm1 with a low rib. And like them. But I would like to try something else. Thanks ,for any help!! Butch H

2. steele

steele TS Member

Butch, If you are looking to buy, I posted a thread last week for a friend who is selling a mid-rib monogun. He bought it three years ago & hasn't even shot 10 boxes of shells thru it. He paid $6600 at Etchen & is trying to get $5800.
    I can try to get pics. The gun is in SW Pa. Butch N

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Butch,

Here is my 2cents...I don't own one, but I would. They have a reputation for being solid as a rock, easy to work on and poor resale value compared to initial new cost. Certainly, there are plenty around. Shoot one before you buy. They have very fast "lock time" and are probably not the best gun for a newbie. By the time you are ready to shoot a Ljutic, you should have enough experience to answer the quetion about what you like, need to improve your scores.

JON

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Butch,

If you do buy a Ljutic you'll never look back. Bought a stainless steel mid rib mono at the Grand in Vandalia back in 2002, scores went up immediately in singles and got a total of 2 yards in the next 400 handicap targets. Buy the mid rib mono....best gun they make. They're bullet proof.

Good luck and good shooting,
    Dave

5. rrose

rrose TS Member

Butch
    If you are around Cincinnati I have one I would be willing to let you shoot to see if you like them. I have a mono with an add on Keensite adjustable rib.
    It does seem like with Ljutics people either like them a lot or do not like them at all. Mine is a great shooting gun and they do crush targets. I shoot 1 oz loads and the way it smokes targets from the 27 is hard to beleive.
    Randy

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Butch,

I've been shooting my 73 for 25 years....bought it used and other than replacing a hammer spring it's been all good. They are built like a tank. Buy one and shoot it forever.

Ron

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have two; traded one newish KX-5 plus a little cash for them. Sent them back to Ljutic for tightening, service, and re-blue. Guns came back like new; Ljutic service is great and they work with you. Turn around time is very fast. Wonderful guns; very little felt recoil. I think the guns are problematical selling on the used market 'cause they are so often custom-fitted to the first owner. Then the gun might not fit the next person. Nadine Ljutic at Ljutic L.L.C. has records for every gun they have ever made; she can tell you the stock dimensions, year of mfg., first owner, barrel dimension, and POI. Find a used one that fits, consider it at first a "core" that may need to go to Ljutic for freshening, get it back, shoot it, and never look back.

I think the locktime's being faster and causing problems is an old wives' tale, just my opinion. Just tell yourself to shoot at the target and the balance will build in an appropriate follow-thourgh. These guns don't "die" in one's hands. The only problem I had with the Ljutic I plan to shoot was that I had it set up shooting too high for what I am used to. An experienced shooter told me where I was missing and simple comb lowering cured the problem immediately. At first I thought I was behind targets as per the "old wives tale" aformentioned.

I find that these guns have a wonderful balance that builds in a built-in follow through. The grip area, at least for me, helps me control the gun better. The guns do not feel as heavy as their 10.5 lbs, on average, suggests. Set up for you, I think the Ljutic is a very easy gun to shoot. If the gun doesn't or isn't set up for you, it's worthless to you like any other gun. I just happened to find 2 used and mildly mechanically "ill" Monoguns that fit me very well. It was pure blind luck..but going from the KX-5 to Ljutic...well, I have a lot of admiration for the KX-5, great gun; but for me, the Ljutic just worked better..immediately.

8. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

bought one saturday at the iowa state shoot. monogun. i've wanted one for a long time and saw this one by chance. bought from merlyns trap guns. what a nice gent. very reasonable price tag which he took a large chunk off as soon as i picked it up.jackmitch

9. gordy h

gordy h Member

Thanks again to all,I can see one in my near future,Butch H

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I have an X73 in excellent condition, including bluing, with a new $650 factory release t, Gracoil adjustable butt and adjustable comb with three Briley choke tubes. Selling for $1,850 in Warwick case.
    Guy Coates

11. pdq

pdq Member

Butch:

If interested, I have one for sale. It is a mid-rib Mono, 34" barrel which has been patterned by Tom Wilkinson for 70/30 (barrel signed, I have paperwork, etc.) with .034 choke. Polished side receiver, adjustable comb, Premium Americase, and 2 sets of factory spare parts kits with the new/upgraded springs. The gun is 3 years old and has had roughly 3 - 4,000 rounds through it, and the action is still stiff. Wood is 99% and metal is 98%. Very attractive wood. I am asking $5,600 for everything described, and live outside of Philadelphia.

I had planned to wait until after the Grand to advertize it for sale here, but let me know via my e-mail address above if this is of interest. If so, let me know, and I can pull together some pictures.

Pete

12. elinvar

elinvar Member

Butch
    I have shot Ljutic's for years and finally became a dealer for them this year. I don't think you can buy a better built shotgun.
    I will be at the grand during the preliminary week thru the 10th. I have several new and used Ljutic's you are welcome to try out and see what you think.

Terry Jones
    Terry's Gun Vault

13. DBLMTHM

DBLMTHM Member

guyco@cox.net

Have you sold the x73? Where is it located? May I call you? My number is 870-424-5190. What length is the barrel? May I have the serial number to check with Ljutic for the gun's history? Thanks, David Lawhon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.