1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Ljutic /sticking hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grl, Dec 9, 2013.

1. grl

grl Member

Having problem with steel base shells (new, not reloads) sticking. Had seen the issue before I bought mine, but don't remember if there is a solution. Is there one?
    Guy
  2. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Not that works all the time. I just don't use the El-Cheapo steel based shells. Brass base only, reloads or new.
  3. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

I've had this problem at times with my older Ljutic (1979 model) using new Federal Top Gun shells. What has solved the problem for me is to keep the chamber very clean. No problems with the brass head cases. Just the steel ones.
    OtH
  4. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

Kinda funny , the above fellow that posted that the shells stick unless he keeps his chamber clean and in my Ljutic if I leave the chamber dirty they don't stick. I shoot mostly WW super targets at practice and may have 1 in a 100 that give me greif. AA's i shoot in comp work perfect.
  5. Jim R

Jim R Well-Known Member

I just took 3 Ljutic's over to the factory, It took Jimmy Ljutic about 2 minutes each to replace some very old ejector springs and now they work perfect. One was a X73 and one was a un hooded Ljutic and one was my LTX. They all had the original ejector spring. The newest gun was 30 years old.

So I guess the problem was maybe too much maintenance on my end?

Jim R
  6. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Moderator Staff Member

I had my barrel rechambered by Briley. That solved the problem.
  7. husker

husker TS Member

About 10 strokes with a 10 ga. chamber brush after each 100 makes my Ljutic function flawlessly. Wish I could say the same about myself but I just can't stand using the brush on myself. Roger
  8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

This comes up on a semi regular basis. This issue is a combination of steel bases and chamber size. The issue with steel bases is that the bases expand too much and lack elasticity. Many assume that guns with sticky problems have tight or rough chambers, whereas the chamber culprit is actually a chamber that is too large, not too small. If you have several guns and have sticking problems with some and never with others, measure those chambers and the problem become quite obvious. Some chamber sizes can be iffy and dealt with by using a stronger ejector spring, while others are simply too large for easy fixes. A sleeved chamber targeting a smallish chamber size would fix the problem, but is expensive. Brass is also a permanent fix. So, either shoot brass, fix the chamber size, or tolerate sticky cases and undue stress on ejectors.
  9. Ross

Ross Active Member

Rick B. has the answer, I do not shoot a Ljutic but do use some pick-up hulls and finally gave in and bought the Mec collet type re-sizer NO more problems. My machine has the "ring" type sizer and it did work but was really hard on the machine. As all above I didn't have any trouble with brass. A word of caution DON'T try to squeeze them too small, all that does is overwork your re-sizer and you run the risk of breaking fingers in the collet, measure a new AA--STS--GM I think they are about .803\805 then set your re-sizer to that size.

Gun Clubs give me the least problems and the most reloads. Ross Puls
  10. Mike

Mike Member

Or replace the ejector spring?
  11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

Try polishing the chamber with 320 grit wet & dry paper.
    Worked on my mid-rib.
  12. elinvar

elinvar Member

this topic is common on here

I have had alot of experience with this issue-

1st-- Clean Chamber alot

2nd- get the stronger ejector spring

3nd- try some Hoppes Dri-Lube-- Have a friend with a Cent Pro that stuck cheap shells real bad- Sent to briley and they did nothing to it- said it was fine- A couple sprays of the Dri-Lube and the sticking stopped- has to spray it every 100 targets or so.

4th- briley can sleeve the chamber if out of spec's-

5th- Give all your steel based hulls away and shoot AA and STS

Terry Jones
  13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Terry Jones, I was just getting ready to post about the Hoppe's Dri-Lube. I cleaned my Ljutic chamber very well with a bronze brush mounted in an electric drill, then sprayed the chamber area with the Dri-Lube. I would re-spray after every event and the problem was just about completely cured. Easy and cheap.
  14. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Moderator Staff Member

It is around $200 for Briley to rechanber a barrel.
  15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

I've had that problem for years with Win. Super Targets. I hadn't done a real thorough polish job on my chamber for a while so this fall I scrubbed it with a chamber brush and then used 320 wet and dry paper and a split dowel in my drill chuck and really gave it the works and then scrubbed it again. Then I shot 150 Federal Top Guns through it with no problems. I had contacted Ljutic and they told me to mic my chamber and that it could be too big. I did but if it required a trip to Ljutic, taking or shipping across the border just isn't worth it to me so I've shot only AA's in it for years. Good luck.

Ron Burr
  16. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

I shoot two very early Ljutic Mono-Guns, made circa 1964. I purchase my shells at Walmart in the value (think steel based hulls) four-packs. The Winchester Universal shells won't extract to the point of embarrassment on the firing line. The Federal Multi-Purpose Load shells work fine. I have not contacted Winchester as to the problem and I still have several packs of the inferior Winchester shells. How many companies stand behind their products today?
  17. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

What is the worth of resizing? I never had a problem getting the steel based shells in, getting them out is the issue. Just use brass instead of the Cheapo's. Problem solved. but them you could buy an old Winchester Super X, they will chamber and eject anything. That's what I use on 5 stand and Sporting Clays. Never an issue.
  18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The only steel shell hulls I can shoot in my Infinity are Gun Clubs. Just heard another reason for hulls sticking. The ink used my certain ammo manufactures melts & sticks to the chambers.

Phil Berkowitz
  19. JayZap

JayZap Member

Both my Ljutics flawlessly eject all types/makes of shells....all it took was a trip to Briley.

Tried all the bullshit mentioned above and then some. You can either fix the problem, shoot premium shells, or carry a lead weight.