1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Stainless???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrw17, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrw17

jrw17 Member

I am taking the plunge in January and ordering a new Ljutic. I have decided on a Mono mid rib and plan on going to Ljutic to have it fit to me. My question is do I go with the stainless or tradition blued? Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each? I was also planning on ordering it with tubes and I heard that the briley's have had issues with getting stuck in the past, any advise?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have had all stainless and blued mono mid rib Ljutics, choose what ever looks nicer to you. Don't think because they make a stainless gun that it will not rust, Ljutic makes the stainless out of SAE 51431 which is a medium carbon stainless that is hardenable and very durable, but will rust if not wiped down before being put away.

3. jrw17

jrw17 Member

Living in the Pacific NW I will shoot in the rain but I do take very good care of my equipment so no matter what I get it will get fully wiped down and cleaned before it goes into the safe. I was considering a full stainless because they are doing a black rib now so I should not have a glare issue. Thoughts?

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Stainless, no tubes , and no porting. Just my opinion. Birdtracker
    [​IMG]

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Go with S/S ljutic blueing wears off real easy. As stated above still clean and lube. I like the complete S/S but to each his own. Buy the way smart move on buying a ljutic great gun and value.

6. jrw17

jrw17 Member

Thanks for everyone's opinions and advise! I really appreciate it and keep it coming. The wife gave me the ok and I want to make sure I get the right gun to last a lifetime.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Go with the Briley chokes. I have them in my Pro 3 LTX and my son has them in his SS Mono Mid Rib. .020 is perfect from singles and .035 will smoke a tearget from the 27. First choke tubes that have impressed me. Prior to these I was always in favor of fixed chokes. NO MORE!! Never had a stuck tube but I clean and lube often. Marc

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the Briley tubes in my Mono. They work great. Just put a little Permatex break-free (silver colored) on the threads whenever you clean the gun. They will never be stuck. One tube has lasted me about 15 years.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Stainless is the ONLY way to go. Blueing wears off at an alarming rate on Ljutics. If by chance you're a smoker the nicotine on you hands will accelerate that de-bluing process. Stainless and a soft rag with a little Rem-Oil on it and you'll never have to worry about the finish. Besides....how much cooler can you look than shooting a stainless Ljutic???

Stainless Steel, 34" Mid-rib, fixed chokes (.030), adjustable comb, adjustable butt pad and NO PORTING are the only way to go. The perfect clay grinder.

Good luck.

10. lboh

lboh Member

Anyone have the going rate of late for the Mono mid & one touch in stainless?

Thanks

11. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I am happy every one has made a positive contribution to this thread.
    So many times, I see folks who don't have or have never shot a Ljutic, pipe up and say one is a mistake, when they are in fact target crushing machines.
    Over 20 years ago, I watched a guy just smoking targets, and asked him about his Ljutic. He told me "This is the only gun I have ever had that turns them into dust from the sixteen, and turns them into dust from the twenty-seven."

I like and recommend Briley Chokes. They are superb.

Good luck with the new gun.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE, 68506

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Iboh/jrw17,

There are a bunch of lightly used Ljutics out there for a fraction of the price of a new one. Check out Terry Jones (Terry's Gun Vault 217-433-9885) and his "Sangamo Specials" I'm sure he'd be glad to help with a fitting as well.

Good luck.

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

One word to consider; ONE-TOUCH I shot one with the new ribe and it was great for me.

14. elinvar

elinvar Member

JRW17
    I prefer a Stainless over the Blued Mono's just because of the blue wear- Lately I have been having Ljutic nickel plate the receivers on some new Pro-3's I have been ordering special for my shop- They look great, very durable and are cheaper than the stainless version.

New Ljutic's come with Ljutic tubes not brileys- For a while they used Briley tubes in the Pro-3's- I'm sure they will have Briley tube them if you want- I have had Ljutic's with both and I think they are equal in quality.
    Give me a call and I can shoot you a price for a new Ljutic in whatever configuration you want.
    I do have a new One-touch with Stainless receiver- blued barrel- Ljutic tubes in stock.

Terry Jones
    Terry's Gun Vault
    217-433-9885

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You should seriously take a gander at the one touch system. I had one with it on and I'm still kicking my butt because I got rid of it.

Hauxfan!

16. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I have a Centennial Pro, stainless receiver, stainless barrel and stainless rib. I do agree with the Big Ski that a blued rib may be better. My gun came with ports when I bought it used. The ports allow burnt powder build-up on the rib. It's easy to clean but it can be a nuisance. However, it looks fantastic IMHO. Bob

17. Gil

Gil Member

jrw, I have a stainless mono 34" and .035 choke. Has worked for me as I went promptly from the 26 to the 27. Gun care has not been one of my strong points but I do lubricate frequently. Moist salt air has not been problem when I lived in MD. When I visited Al, he recommended a reverse Mt.Carlo which I accepted and ran my first 200 in Florida at the Southern Grand. Since I have moved to a PFC stock but have kept the original stock. As a word of caution, I did have to have my Mono gun serviced after about 125,000 rounds but Al warned me that that might be necessary. As a complaint, I cannot shoot cheap shell except for Wal Mart federals.

My point is to go ahead with your purchase with the best wood you can afford. Eventually, you may need more flexibility and to to a PFS stock. Meanwhile, shoot them one at a time, and you will be AAA and 27 in no time. George Miller

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a stainless Pro 3 One Touch (black rib) 34" that I've have shot a few times.

I be happy to get rid of it and not asking for an arm and a leg. I shoot Perazzi's and traded for this one. Beautiful with the build sheet and manual, as well as the normal aluminum case. Serial number is 38##. I have no clue what it's worth, but will find out a reasonable asking price if interested.

Please don't anything think I am *giving* it away, but I will sell it for a reasonably cheap price...

It has choke tubes, 3 in all. I have an FFL as well.

[​IMG]

I'll take another pic of the barrel assy... soon as I clean off my bench enough to photograph.

Whiz

19. jrw17

jrw17 Member

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback it is really appreciated. At this point I am needing to get through he new year before I do anything (Christmas and taxes are always a unknown). Feel free to PM me and I will be in contact.

20. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Jrw17,

I also live in the Pacific Northwest. I have a full stainless mid-rib with black ribs (2 barrel set, 34/32). I went to the black ribs as I got tons of glare off the stainless ribs. Jimmy Ljutic said more and more people are going the black rib route.

You are welcome to try the gun any time you would like to. No porting, no choke tubes, pull or release. I bought a K-80 and the gun just sits in the safe. I also have a 32" blued, full, ported you can try.

PM me and we can get together at a local club.

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ljutic bluing
ljutic one touch pro 3 stainless steel
ljutic pro 3 one touch manual
ljutic stainless
ljutic stainless mono

stainless steel ljutic