1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LJUTIC SHOTGUN SHELL RELOADERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kim Z., Jul 13, 2013.

1. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Does anyone have information or HAVE a Ljutic shotgun shell reloading machine made in the 1950's/early1960's? The folks at the factory do not have any manuals. I believe Al Ljutic made very few of them as they were all hand made/machined. It appears it is set up to only use card wads. More photos of early Ljutic products can be seen on the Ljutic Facebook page.

Kim Z.

K.Mill thanked this.
  2. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Ljutic Reloader Circa 1956/57 - Possible Prototype

kimz_2013_26018.jpg

kimz_2013_26019.jpg

kimz_2013_260115.jpg

3. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Buddy Loveless who owns Texas Clays has one he might shed some light on them. as he would ask questions.

4. chrismhsc

chrismhsc Member

In Arnold Riegger's book "Trapshooting" he refers that he was the factory rep for the loader in the 1950's. Ljutic also made fiber wads that had to be used to fit the loader. He took it with him to many shoots and was one of the first to use reloads.

5. high rib

high rib TS Member

i have a ljutic loader with manual 330 733 4076 terry in ohio

6. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Cactus Jack,

What a great observation! Soviet Russia... yes! I remember the first time I saw a Ljutic shotgun in the late 60's/early 1970's. It reminded me of something I might see in a Russian science fiction film. I was mesmerized! Indeed, the Ljutic Mono-Gun IS built like a tank. In a fresh way, it really stood out from the Winchester Mdl. 12, Browning Superposed, and other popular guns from that time. Other manufacturers would later copy the Ljutic raised rib, but still have not caught on with simplicity of design and unmatched durability.

The pictured reloader was hand-built by a wacky, eccentric, brilliant, and lovable Croatian innovator, Al Ljutic.

Kim Z.

ljutic73 thanked this.
  7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

No one has ever come close to designing anything close to the Space Gun. I wish I had not sold mine.

8. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Cactus,

Al Ljutic was born in Nevada. At at one point in his life he (tongue-in-cheek) described himself as, "... a dumb Slavonian." Al's father came from Serbia. I'll have to check on my reference of "Croatian." Ethnic Croatians lived in Serbia, and ethnic Serbs lived in Croatia.

Kim

9. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Ljutic "Shellmagic Shotshell Reloader," Serial #31 ~ Circa 1959/65. For more photos of early Ljutic products, see the Ljutic page on Facebook.
    kimz_2013_260112.jpg

kimz_2013_260116.jpg

10. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Ljutic "Shellmagic Shotshell Reloader," Serial #31 ~ Circa 1959/65. For more photos of early Ljutic products, see the Ljutic page on Facebook.

kimz_2013_260114.jpg

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

In Serbia Ljutic would sound like "Lootitch" to our western ears.

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Have you tried to load any shells with it yet?

If you do, please add pictures.

Could be interesting as to what components to use.

13. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Beaver,

I haven't tried reloading as it seems complicated to me. I have some of the Ljutic flat wads and a manual which is VERY complicated to me. The first pictured reloader (with lots of patina), has a tube to stack empty cases. Once that machine is set up, it loads as fast as you can pull the handle. The newer (second pictured) machine appears to need shells placed in each time by hand. This machine has parts to adjust desired powder and shot loads.
    I would welcome any knowledgeable person to come over and set me up!

Kim

14. TjayE

TjayE Member

Are there any of Al's shotshell reloaders in the ATA museum? I think the reloader would show how far this sport has progressed. Tom E.

15. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

I will call the ATA Museum to find out if they have a Ljutic Reloader. I would be surprised if they do have one. Most people don't know they were made.

Kim

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

California HofF has one in storage..

17. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    A number of years ago My father had one sitting around his shop collecting dust. He eventually donated it to the HOF museum at the Kingsburg gun club. Last I heard it was still there. I'm fairly certain that it did not have a manual with it though. Kim, IIRC it looked more like the second one you pictured than the first. Mike

18. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Grunt: Oh... that's where it is! :)

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

An interesting side note....

Th LJUTIC wads were punched out of a cardboard/fiberboard material that was extremely flammable. The scraps left over from the wad punching operation were sold as a wood stove and fireplace starter called "INSTA-BLAZE"! I had dinner with Nadine & Al about 20 years ago and Al told the story. He said "We lost money on the wads...but we made a killing on the fire starters!"

Bob Schultz

Robb and Trapshooter thanked this.
  20. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

I'd like to talk to anyone out there who has a Ljutic Reloader. I'm trying to document variations and collect serial numbers in order to determine how many were made. The folks at Ljutic don't remember, as they were made a long time ago.

Kim Z.

Search tags for this page
arnold ljutic
ljutic mono wads

ljutic reloader

ljutic shotgun reconditioning

ljutic shotgun shell reloader
ljutic shotshell wads
ljutic wads
reloading data ljutic blue label wads