1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hunter46spring, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

I recently bought a Ljutic Mono-Gun with a pull trigger. I was told that it was set up for a release trigger and that all I would need is a Ljutic release hammer. I was curious to see if- a; if this sounds right, b; is this an easy "do it yourself" installation, and c; how expensive (ballpark) would a hammer be? I shoot the pull trigger very well and dont have any desire to switch to a release. I guess it is simply the curiousity factor and the desire to have a release in the event I ever decide to shoot one.
    Thanks,
    Hunter

2. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Possible but doubtful. You can switch a release over to a pull but it normally costs about what another whole trigger group will cost. I am not sure that a pull can be switched to a release very easily even for a gunsmith. Your best bet is to just buy another trigger if you want a release. That way you can also sell the either one.

barjr2478 thanked this.
  3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have both pull and release trigger groups for my Mono Gun. Although I only shoot the pull trigger it looks to me as the only thing I would have to do to convert the release trigger to a pull would be to remove the "HOOK". The hammers on both trigger groups appear to be identical. I can also say that to have Ljutic do the conversion either way can be costly. Marc

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If you remove the hook a release trigger becomes a pull trigger. This is so because without the hook the hammer will not set when you pull the trigger. I will just fire like normal.

This is not always desirable though. Many release triggers are set with a 2lb set or less. This means that you will have a 2lb trigger pull by removing the hook. That's far too light for me.

5. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

Thanks for all the information, as Rastoff said my Mono-Gun does have a very light trigger. Are the hooks machined to the individual trigger groups or is it something I can buy "off the shelf" or used from another shooter?

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hunter: The Ljutic Release takes a special Trigger and Hammer, If you have the Ljutic Release trigger, which is different from the pull has a hook to engage the side of special machined Hammer for the Hook to catch, and the trigger housing is Milled Out to Accept the Ljutic Release Trigger. Take a picture of your trigger from the side and down fvrom the top and I can tell you what you have. PM me the picture,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I presume that yours is not a new Ljutic. Ljutics are essentially hand-made/fitted guns. As simple as they appear, many parts are not simply "drop-in", but must be fitted. Some are fitted, and then subsequently heat treated for additional hardness and then final fitted. Because the trigger is so immediate...no take-up...if it is a 2 lb trigger, for me that's too light. I'd have it redone by Ljutic to be 3.5 lbs or so, unless you "slap" the trigger rather than pretension the trigger with your finger. With the new carbon silica hammer spring and spring-loaded firing pin that Ljutic now has available, the Ljutic pull trigger can be made to be among the best pull triggers available...very precise, immediate and fast. And they are very easy to maintain...just get some sort of spring removal tool (Brownells sells one...looks like a flat blade screw driver with a slot milled down the middle of the blade...works great). Whether a trigger group which has been "modified" to acceept release hooks can be set up optimally for a pull trigger, I am not competent enough to know. Call Ljutic and ask them...you've got a great gun, so treat it accordingly.

WNCRob

8. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

These are the pictures of the trigger group. I should note that the area where I presume a release hook would engage appears to be rounded and done so rather crudely as if material was removed by hand rather than a machining process. I suppose it could be wear or galling but the gun is only 2 years old. I am the second owner. Thanks for everyones assistance. - Hunter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Call Ljutic and get an informed and accurate assessment: 509-248-0476. Ask for Jimmy or Mikey...or perhaps start out with Mrs. Ljutic (Nadine)...she's very knowledgeable and will direct you to the appropiate person. They are there to help. Have your gun's serial #, and she will be able to tell you how the gun was originally configured and what subsequent work, if any, they have performed on the gun.

WNCRob

10. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

maybe thats why I a got a good deal on it.....It still shoots great!!!!

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hunter: You need a new or replacement Release Hammer, there are several designs, I doubt Ljutic will send you one as it has to be fitted. You might get lucky and find a used release hammer that will work, they are few and far between.

I hyad several hammers but have sold them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

It definitely looks like this was a release trigger that someone ground off the hook on. If it was a real pull trigger it would not have the curved piece. It also looks like someone ground on the hammer so it does not look like changing the hook would be enough. My release has a very sharp edge on the hammer where the hook would catch.

To change a factory pull trigger over to a release would take a different trigger and hammer and the housing would need to be machined for additonal room for the parts.

Also the triggers are different over the years. My release is from an older Ljutic and the hook (curved part) is a different shape and thickness. My pull trigger block is definitely machined differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can a lujtic trigger be changed from release to pull
how to replace ljutic trigger
is a ljutic release trigger housing different than a pull trigger housing
ljutic how to change from release to pull trigger

ljutic release trigger

pictures of shotgun release trigger
review of ljutic release triggers
reviews of ljutic release triggers