1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic rebuild

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Ljutic Mono Gun: 34" bbl- .039 choke, plus a second 34" bbl choked .022 and ported. Chokes believed to be original Ljutic. Ser#9XX (1974)

This Ljutic has seen a lot of use. If it can be brought back to "LIKE NEW" I would prefer to keep it. On the other hand nice used Momo Guns are priced so low that I wonder if it makes any sense to put another $1000 or more into bringing this gun back.

I would appreciate input from anyone that has sent a gun to Ljutic for rebuilding. Please include detailed condition before sending to Ljutic and what you thought of the repairs when returned.

Thanks, Marc

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Ljutic has a "special" on thier website right now.....don't know what yours needs but it's probably worth a phone call to see what they say....

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

I sent mine to Doug Braker and he has done a super job and his prices are reasonable. Give him a call.

Doug

4. luvtrapguns

I have had conversations with Doug Braker and also with Jimmie at Ljutic. I have confidence in both. Ljutic does things that Doug can not.

My main concern is:
    Do/should I spend the money (approx $1100 inc shipping) for a complete rebuild or would I be better off selling this gun and using the $1100 toward an upgrade to a nice newer Ljutic. Prices on nice used Mono's are very enticing.

Thanks, Marc

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Sell it and buy a newer one. You have an "itch" that must be "scratched".

6. luvtrapguns

BeBop, Sounds like you should shoot a Ljutic to find out what it's all about.

Worn out is not what I said. I know the gun is ONLY 36 years old but it still shoots well. Sometimes, no make that most of the time, I do not.(LOL) I did not buy this gun new but only recently aquired it so I have no emotional attachment to it. I do feel Ljutic Mono Guns are as reliable and durable as anything ever made. I like the way they come up and swing. Every Mono Gun I have ever had (4) always went "BANG" without surprises every time I pulled the trigger.

I want to shoot a Mono as my main singles and caps gun. The gun I have is OK but does not look as new or fancy as I would like. I like my toys to look nice. SOoo. am I better off rebuilding this gun or applying the rebuild money towards a like new replacement? This last question is for anyone who has an educated opinion.

Thanks, Marc

7. luvtrapguns

Rick, I guess the question is "can the itch be scratched as well with a rebuild?" I have to admit I would like to try out a higher rib or even a One Touch.

Always the same: So many guns, so little time.

Thanks, Marc

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have an old Mono #111 thats about 43 years old and I am attached to it with no money or desire to change or up grade to a fancier model or another gun . I sent it back a few years ago for the winter tune-up and bluing . I was unhappy with the bluing job and sent it back to get re-done and found after 2 years that the bluing didn`t last as long as I thought but never called the company about it . This gun had gone 35 years with the original bluing and couldn`t make 2 years before it started wearing from case marks where it comes in contact with the separators in my case plus the bluing is coming off normal handling wear from shooting and I don`t have a high acid content in my hands . The tune up was fine just the bluing is what I didn`t like so I guess I will live with it ?? If I was younger and had to do it all over , I would have bought a Stainless Mono .

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Marc... I had a Ljutic mono rebuilt a few years ago. They went completely through it for me and did a great job. I did not have it re-blued as the barrel and reciever had a "Metalife" finish on it that was perfect. If it wasn't for the fact that the release trigger in it kept changing on me every time I shot it, I would probably still own it. As to your question, the amount of money you are thinking of putting into your gun more than likely wouldn't cover the cost of the extra barrel, alone. If you are sold on the Ljutic's, you have the best of both worlds with what you have. A dedicated singles barrel and a dedicated handicap barrel. If you decide to go with another, newer, Ljutic, you will be forced to buy one with choke tubes if you want different chokes for singles and caps unless you want to spring for another barrel. I hate tubed guns, and as such, I would opt to restore the set you have and enjoy it for a long, long time.... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I had mine reblued in 1992....local gunsmith who was very fussy about his blueing process did it for me and it looks the same as the day it came out of his tanks....he used Dicropan from Brownells and knew what he was doing....

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have a beautiful Ljutic that's all rebuilt and ready to go. AA wood, soft touch, etc. I just don't shoot it, doesn't fit well...it came to me on a trade. Just rebuilt 500 rounds ago with bluing by Ljutic. Came out like new...the receiver was sent out for soft nickle plating years ago and that really hols up longer than bluing. No, I've not tried to sell it; may do some experimenting and try and make it fit better...too many trapguns, (5-6 or so) not enough time to dial in each one.

Bottom line: I'd get yours fixed up! And buy another one when you find one that is a "must have" for more "gunrodding"..just my 2C.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have Ljutic 28XX. It was just rebuilt. I shot it the first time yesterday, after the rebuild. It took 2 months to get it back. It was worth it. It looks, and feels like new. Mine had 400K+ shots through it. Was dinged, scrached, and the rib was busted off (thanks to the shipper). I think they did (Ljutic) a fine job on my gun, and it was a lot cheaper than buying a new Mono. Most used Ljutic's have had the shi* shot out of them. The rebuild was well worth the price.

13. Bridger

Bridger Member

You've obviously got an itch so you might as well try to scratch it. As you say there are a lot of attractively priced ljutics on the market. Have you any idea what it is going to cost you to trade to see what the difference is going to be versus having yours rebuilt? With a lot of guns on the market and if yours is well used you probably are not going to get a lot for your gun. Having yours rebuilt is going to be a lot less money but if it is not the gun you want, you might as well start looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ljutic x73 rebuild