1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

I have two Ljutic questions; I just purchased a used Ljutic and really like it...(1) The gun is sensitive to some ammo; I cannot eject all shells that do not have a brass base. I was told that the steel base expands too much and holds its new size; brass expands and then snaps back. Is there a fix for this??? Like lube the bases of the shells before firing? Or a honed chamber? It does not do this each and every time. Another Ljutic I know of digests these types of shells (Fed promotional etc.) with ease.

(2) I read that there is an upgrade kit for the trigger; where can I purchase such a kit..or what exactly does Jimmy Ljutic do to make the trigger better and how does one go about getting the changes?

I'd really appreciate help here; I am new to Ljutic and like a great trigger and wish to shoot promotional shells from Wally Mart.

Thanks

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I honed one of mine with progressively finer stones, bought the hone from Brownell's. Pops everything out now. Don't know about the trigger upgrade.

3. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Some say honing the chamber makes this problem worse!!!! It maybe to large allready?? I just shot the new upgraded trigger springs,couldn't tell much difference?? I think its worth the upgrade if you don't mind spending 85.00 for a spring and firing pin?? Your ejector spring may be weak?? Your not alone with this problem. Give Ljutic a call monday their service is top notch!!!!! John

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I don't have the problem when I clean the chamber with a chamber brush every couple of hundred rounds. If I don't clean they don't come out.

I would be careful about the trigger thing. Extra spring will put more strain on the pins and may cause more problems than it is worth.

jim brown

5. biff

biff Active Member

In regard to question # 1

I have been shooting my Ljutic now for two years and never had a problem with any shells sticking in the chamber, not sure why this happens as I have seen a couple of other Ljutics have this problem. But as John says, I'd try a heavier or new ejector spring before I'd go honing on the chamber of any gun!

Question # 2

A call to Jimmy Ljutic should answer both questions you ask. My thoughts on the new springs and firing pin for what it is worth: the new spring is a Chrome Silicon spring and won't have much effect on speeding up the lock time as it is almost the same diameter wire as the old music wire spring. What it does do is to give a consistent hammer fall which keeps the lock time more consistent and possibly will never need to be replaced; this is the same material used in auto engine valve springs and the compression rate on this spring should always remain the same!

The new light weight firing pin is about 20% lighter than the original equipment model firing pin. How much it will speed up the lock time would be hard to say or maybe even to tell the difference. I have one in my gun and feel it makes the trigger better, at least in my mind it does and that's what counts. To me, fast or slow lock time is something your mind can adjust to, but an inconsistent lock time is to sure give problems or it has me.

Without degreasing and polishing the cocking rod all will be for naught. If there is a heavy coating of grease or oil on the cocking rod, this will cause it to remain against the hammer causing an inconsistent drag everytime the gun is fired. Ajax pointed this out to me and when I did this to my Ljutic, it put the whole package of CS spring and lightweight firing pin together. It is a difference you will know and one that will put a smile on your face! Now when I miss I know it certainly isn't my gun!!! Biff

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting mine for 25 years and it doesn't like steel rimmed amo like Win. Super-Targets and Fed. Top Guns....and using a chamber brush doesn't help. I shoot AA's exclusively with zero ejection problems. I, unfortunately don't have access to Rio's, Estates or Fiocci's in Alberta. I am told they all work fine.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have the same problem but with a different make of gun. The problem is the chamber is a little on the large size. Both brass and steel headed shells expand when fired but the brass has more resilience and goes back to a more normal size. The steel heads will remained expanded.

There is a minimum and maximum tolerance in the size of chambers. When a new reamer is used to cut a chamber, the chamber will be near the maximum allowable size. As the chamber reamer gets worn, the chambers get smaller. Finally the chamber size is at lower end of the accepted tolerance and the reamer is discarded.

Large chambers will not allow extraction of most steel headed shells. The only fix would be a chamber sleeve and for me this is impractical. The only steel headed shell my gun will consistently shoot is Estates. The other brand of discount shell it will shoot is Centurion (made in Italy with a brass head).

Your best solution is to experiment and figure out what brands of shells work in your gun. In my gun, none of the Spanish shells will work. One or two Rem Gun Clubs per box stick in my gun. None of the Estates or Centurion have stuck. None of the premium shells stick in my gun.

Pat Ireland

8. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

my Ljutic doesn't have a problem with Top Guns, but won't eject Nobles! Now figure that one out! So I don't shoot Nobles and I keep a knocker in my vest. Don

9. clyslr

clyslr Member

Do not change your gun! Just change brand of ammo. I've shot mine 15 years with the same problem. I know what to buy. Problem solved.

Clay Slayer

10. old tex

old tex TS Member

Al Ljutic said shoot Remington.

Most I've had don't like reloads.

PS: Great guns!!!!!!!!!

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks to all who have helped; I'd hope that there is a modern "fix", perhaps with a lube etc. of some sort. I actually purchased two used Ljutics a week ago and am already shooting them better than anything else. I'm impressed; the guns happened to fit me...with that being said, one gun "digests" anything, the other is fussy. The problem is that I wish to shoot (and have lots on hand) "Wally World" Federal promos...I no longer reload and with costs being as high as they are...

But maybe my snivel is like the guy who has a Corvette and wants to run it on regular??? Not quite, 'cause one gun works with steel base shells and one does not...and I am CHEAP.

Thanks for all the help from those who know, any more help is greatly appreciated like how to keep the cocking rod free etc...

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The Ljutic ejctor is spring activated...many other guns have a cam that starts the ejector on its extraction task before a spring takes over. Kemen shells, in particular, tend to stick in the Ljutic...upon ignition, they do expand at the base and will stick from time to time...and for that reason, most people do not reload them either. I would not bore out the chamber. Likewise, "special lubes" may only have a temporary effect. I've used Remington Gun Clubs very successfully and have never had one stick, even though their base is some sort of white metal that looks like the kemen, and I've reloaded them many times with no problems.

Enjoy the gun...its great.

WNCRob

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clean the chamber on a regular basis. I've shot everything through my Ljutic, and if the chamber get cruddy everything will stick once in a while.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,v bought new LJutic guns that have hulls stick in so a worn chamber is not it . A new heavier spring is not the answer keep it clean and that will help .

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I have no problems with getting any hulls out of the chamber on my old Ljutic but the ejector screws are in to keep it from throwing the shells out. Each comes out enough to just pull out of the chamber. Just FYI.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Take the Cocking Rod out and wipe it off, run a pipe cleaner down the hole it comes out of and twist the pipe cleaner, do this several times, and re-install only with a light oil like Rem-Lube.

If you use grease on the cocking rod, in cold weather it will mis-fire as the hammer falls in slow motion because of the grease. I know about this.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.