1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic questions, values and pros and cons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

I have a chance to buy a Ljutic from a friend and I don't know a lot about them. It is an LTX built in 1989 number 136. Does anybody know the value of this gun, or how do I find out? It has two triggers (1 is a release) and the wood has been redone and really nice. The blueing is in good shape but the gun has a lot of shells shot through it, but I have been told that don't matter with a Ljutic. The only thing I don't like is it is a fixed choke - full. I would like to also know if this gun barrel can be threaded for removable chokes and or can you buy another just ljutic barrel for the gun that has removable chokes? And if so is there any out there? Thanks in advance for any help, tips, suggestions or ideas.

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Ljutic fan for many years..Barrels can be Hard to find..Better to have Briley choke your barrel...As for being well shot...Ljutic can rebuild any gun and make it NEW again and again.Shoot Well...Shoot Often

3. Duck

Duck Member

Two triggers + refinished wood, good blue, rings in the barrel/choke at muzzle and if it feels tight on lockup.
    I think $3500 or less would be a buy, my guess is he will ask more. Briley, or Wrights can easily tube the barrel for you, but I would ask why?. Ljutics have a wonderful factory choke. If you haven't shot it already I would ask to shoot it first fit is more important then any of the above. I have #106 mid 60's vintage and bought #3560 off this site. You can watch the FS ad's here or search the dealers who advertise/support this site at the login page to also get an idea of used value.

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Ljutic is a terrific trap gun. It will be shooting long after
    your gone. Why choke tubes? Shoot it with the full choke.
    Why risk some after-market installer putting the tube in crooked?

5. superump

superump TS Member

I shoot a modified choke at the 16 to 18 yd line and an improved modified from the 19 to the 23 yd line and full choke from 25 to 27 yd. I don't want to buy a gun of that caliber and cost just to shoot from the 25 to 27 yd line. I am very comfortable with those chokes at those yards. I am glad to hear that briley can thread the barrel. I had them thread an SKB automatic that I own and they did a great job. I am pretty trusting of Briley. It does have an adjustable comb and I think Rick is right its a 1998. It does have the rings at the end of the barrel and is tight. Thanks for the help.

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Get the gun. If it's a '98 it probably won't need to be rebuilt. I know guys with over 100K rounds through their Ljutics and haven't had a single failure. If the gun locks up tight, just shoot it.

Don't put tubes in it. Just shoot it at any yardage. I know this is not popular thinking, but the choke tubes really make little difference.

The difference between your Mod and IM chokes is only .005" and if you pattern them I'll bet you find less than a 5 pellet difference inside a 30" circle at 30 yards.

If you don't believe me just take the gun and shoot it at the 16. I'll bet your scores don't change at all, unless they go up do to a nicer gun.

7. Potter625

Potter625 Member

Just bought a ljutic 6 months ago. I love it. I have had many trap guns and this gun is the best shooting gun by far, No choke tubes 740 bore 705 choke is in my barrel and is the best over all choke I have ever shot.I bought it used for 3500. I just had the receiver satin hard chromed and now it is perfect and don'nt have to worry about the blue ware any more.Great gun and easy on the shoulder. Buy it and enjoy.
    Elmer

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

This may be a nice gun, but what rib does it have? There are 4 different fixed rib heights available from Ljutic. Buy it if its just right for you, not because its a good deal...which we don't really know. I own and love Ljutics, but if it were me looking for a new used Ljutic, I'd look around. Search on this web site...there have been some real great Ljutics for sale recently.

WNCRob

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Superump: Shoot the gun with the shells you normally use from the 16 and the 23 yd line, and see the results for yourself.

A std Ljutic Bore is .740 and most of their fixed ckes were one of the following .700-.705-.710 and all had rings in the Bbl if the Bbl is un touched.

Which comes to .040 is extra full .035 is full and .030 is a light full and these chokes work very well at all yardages.

A call to Nadine and she will tell you the original POI and choke constriction.

Now hold the gun closed do you feel any BBl movement or looseness when trying to move the bbl w/forearm action, now tap the bottom of the forearm with the gun pointing straight up, does it rattle or make any noise. If it does Ljutic wants $995.00 to fix this in a rebuild and re-blue.

I personally have no preference of fixed choke or choke tube as I shoot full choke from 16 yd to Hdcp.

Just like FRANK LITTLE full choke 16-27yds.

You have your preferences just like everybody else and it is your decision.
    The LTX is a very nice gun, just like all Ljutics.

My personal preference is the high shooting PRO-3 Model w/release but this is me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. superump

superump TS Member

Thanks for the help and tips. I can get the gun for around $3,000.00. I am just going to shoot it and see how the gun fits me and after these comments the choke thing doesn;t bother me as much.

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

call nadine and she will give you the whole scoop on the gun along with some kind advise??? motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.