1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic question!!!!! Use of break open button

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dan S., Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I am considering the purchase of a Ljutic and am curious about the differences involving the use of the button in front of the trigger to break open the gun. Can anyone describe the common method? I assume your trigger finger cannot reach this button. Do most people slide their triggering hand forward to reach the button or do they use their "offhand" to push the button. Does anyone remember "a problem" at first when switching to their other gun for doubles and going back to a normal top lever?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I always used my trigger finger for opening my Mono. Never had a problem, and never felt awkward, or uncomfortable doing so. I would, however, use my "off hand" to open the gun if I needed to hold and re-set the release trigger.........Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I use a Lujtic and there is a little getting used to using the button. I'll betcha it took me three shells to get used to it:) The only thing you have to try and get used too is to use the middle finger of your hand to open and to use the button when closing the gun. My gun is a Centenial model and the button at first seemed to be a little sharp but I got used to it. You will love how those Lujtics break birds. Or at least I wish you to be as satisfied with your gun as I am with mine. Oh yeah, until you get used to that crisp and clear trigger don't be dissapointed if you shoot behind a few angled birds before you realize how sensitive the trigger is. Good luck with a good piece of equipment you will never regret owning. Dan

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Trigger finger for 20 years.

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

master blaster---interested in a good used LTD 2000 34 in full choke gun motordoc joe1234@ameritech.net

6. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Thanks everyone for your info. As you can tell, I have not even had an opportunity to hold one let alone shoot one. I have one close friend who shoots one and am hoping he will let me try it next summer. It has gold inlays in engaved bird scenes and is indeed a thing of beauty. That's why I say I "hope" he'll let me try it out. One thing I have noticed over the last 20 years, Ljutic owners don't seem to tade their guns as often or at least not the ones I know. So any advice as to models to watch for or watch out for?
    I shot a KS5 Special and really liked it but for trigger problems which I could not get resolved. Not blaming Krieghoff but when you lose faith in a gun the game goes down hill. I tend to like heavier guns and mid ribs. Any suggestions??? Dan

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I generally use my middle finger, but don't give it much thought....and it took me about 3 shots to get used to it....I carry my ammo on my left side and load with my left hand...been doing it that way for 25 years....

8. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Ljutic73....Perfect, that's what I would like to do also. Especially the shells on the left side. It would seem to balance out better.
    P3AT....Does that booklet also tell how to break every target??? LOL

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Dan, Interesting. I purchased a Ljutic mono mid-rib a yr. ago last August. I love the way it opens. Use trigger finger with no problems. I also recently purchased a KS-5 special and have only shot it 200 times. I did not realize the Krieghoff had so much trigger creep--nothing like the Ljutic trigger. I was wondering what kind of problems you had with the trigger on yours? Good shooting--Steve

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

I am right handed and when I was trying out a release I started using my left hand to open the gun so that I could keep the trigger set in the event I needed to open an unfired gun. My method is shells and pouch on the left side. Turn my left hand so that the thumb is on the bottom of the fore arm and my fingers are on top of the rib. Slide the hand back and push the button with the inside of the thumb. When the gun breaks open your fingers are right in place to block the shell or shells (in my bi-gun) as they eject. Then pull them out with the left hand drop them in the hull bag, grab fresh round(s) and load all in one motion. I now do this with my pull trigger as well. It seems to work well for me.
    --- Chip King ---

11. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

AAtrap....My trigger issues with the KS5 were that roughly twice per 100 the trigger would come up very light. (pull weight) So light that the gun would go off when I called pull. I have a tendancy to put just a mild pad pressure on the trigger as I call for the bird. Because this issue could not be repeated it was near impossible to determine the cause. People I have shot with for years would see me shoot right when I called pull and knew the gun had gone off accidentally but by the rules it is still a lost target. (Full legal bird in air on call) So I tried to duplicate by changing how I cocked the lever (quick or slow) whether I let the lever snap back or caught it with my thumb and eased it back. No matter what I did, I could not duplicate for a smith. I went back to shooting my O/U for everything. Note: this has never happened to me with any other gun. I say that in case someone thinks that I put more pad pressure on call than I really do. It is almost none. My Perazzi was set at 2 3/4 lbs and never had this issue. For me, the trigger is my focus on any gun I use. My Perazzi is by far the best overall other than an occasional spring. I still like the look and feel of the Ljutic. Most owners don't seem to know much about the inner works because they just keep on ticking and that's what I want. Dan

12. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Middle finger -- it was, for me, good advice from Nadine. The trigger finger can get fatigued from pulling on the release button. I found that to be true for me. Middle finger works great.

Steve

13. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I prefer the concavely curved opener of the Dyno Kick model which was installed on my Mono Gun.

14. elinvar

elinvar Member

I have had 3 different Ljutic's over the years- 1st two I used my trigger finger but they were used and looser. 3rd Ljutic was purchased brand new- IT WAS TIGHT!! wore a blister openeing it up the 1st 500 shots- had to switch to my middle finger because it was wearing out my index finger. Now I have got used to using my middle finger and I use it all the time.
    On a side note I am now the new Ljutic dealer for Central Illinois. I will have a nice selection of Ljutic's in stock before long. Including the new adj rib model, Stainless Mono's and Pro 3's.
    Keep me in mind if you are looking for a new Ljutic
    Terry L Jones- Terry's Gun Vault
    103 N Main Pierson Station ILL
    217-433-9885

15. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Although I havent had mine for long, I use my middle finger. It just seems easier for me. I will be however, putting in the other curved button over the winter.
    Steve

16. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

As I read these posts it makes me wish it was spring not fall. It is getting pretty chilly up here in Minny-Snow-ta. I am going to prevail upon my buddy to let me shoot his and then gather some knowledge of the different models so I can make an educated choice in the spring. Thanks for all the info guys, you are the best. Are there any sources (books, pamphlets, previous posts) on Ljutic model differences???? Dan

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Terry of Terry's Gun Vault.

I can't seem to find that town in Illinois. Have you got it spelled right, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Where is it located at? Thanks!

Hauxfan!

18. elinvar

elinvar Member

hauxfan
    Pierson Station is REAL SMALL!! If you go straight east of Decatur on rt 36- It is 3 miles east of Hammond and 3 Miles west of Atwood. Or going the other way I'm about 15 miles west of I-57 at the Tuscola exit on rt 36. There are still a few maps that have my town on there- I'm not even sure if it's on mapquest or not. Population 60 or so and 1 big huge grain elevator.
    Terry Jones

19. biff

biff Active Member

You can buy a Dnyakic type button for your Monogun from Ljutic, this will help make it easier to break open your tight Monoguns. In order to do this you will need to ship your gun to then so they can fit the factory made break open button at a cost of about $300 plus shipping. OR-- you can do what I did to my Centennial Monogun at a cost of less than $50. Take a look at the thread with the pictures of my Ljutic on the thread "Ljutic Monogun Improved!" Glad to help and it sure does make opening my Ljutic much easier especially if you have a big fat middle finger like mine and you do alot of dryfiring for practice! Biff

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry. I had used an Atlas and it doesn't have it listed, but by your directions, I know about where it is.

Should I ever decide to go with a Ljutic, I'll keep you in mind.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ljutic break open

use of break open