1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by terry1345, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terry1345

terry1345 TS Member

I just purchased a used Ljutic Mono Gun. Took it to the range for the first time and when I shot it, I found that I could not open the gun (only slightly, not nearly enough to eject the shell). If I put a spent shell or my snap cap in, close the gun and fire it (release trigger), I had absolutely no problem opening the gun after firing.

To get the fired shell out of it, I really had to strain on it while holding in the push-button opener. What's going on??

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dirty chamber, and/or steel rather than brass base shells.

3. terry1345

terry1345 TS Member

Yes that is correct, the shells are fine and they go in and out freely; I just cannot open the gun after firing.

4. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Terry:
    Check and see if the Fore-end iron is screwed securely to the wood, and not worked lose.
    Also check to see if the wood part of the fore-end is binding on the reciever when you try to open the action.
    I had this problem when I first had a new stock & fore-end made.
    I removed just a VERY LITTLE BIT of wood from the binding area, problem solved.

Good Luck

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Possibly a problem with the firing pin not retracting fully. This could be caused by the firing pin or even the type of primer. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember that the cocking rod can also be installed up side down and this could make it hard to open. But that should make it hard to open with a spent shell.

Check the firring pin, try a few different kinds of shells, let someone familiar with Ljutics look at the gun.

Pat Ireland

6. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Listen to Pat. I have had Ljutics for 40 yrs and have seen this time and time again. Is in the firing pin area. Also , some of the cheap shells will give you probs sometimes.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've seen this problem a few times also. It appears that a little wear on the cocking rod retards the push on the hammer, allowing the firing pin to hang a little too long against the primer.

When the release button is pushed and you begin to open the gun, almost immediately, the cocking rod should move and beigin to cock the hammer. While the hammer is in the fired position, there is constant pressure on the firing pin, and therefore constant pressure on the primer.

If you were to look at the base of the rounds that tend to be sticky, you will probably see a firing pin drag mark on the base.

Doug Braker

8. biff

biff Active Member

Terry, even though I have never had this problem with firing pins, you have received good advice in the above posts. I am now using one of Jimmy Ljutics new lightweight firing pins(faster lock time?). It is a machined firing pin with a spring which helps push it back when the hammer pressure is relieved as the cocking rod cocks the hammer. Jimmy also hotrodded my release trigger and with its faster lock time along with the lighter firing pin is taking some adjustment in my timing on the targets, but I sure am happy with it! John Payne

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I was having a similiar issue with my Ljutic not wanting to open consistently. I had a gunsmith look at it and he indicated he could fix it by working on the firing pin for about $35. I got it back and after about 300 shells it started misfiring. I talked to another gunsmith who sold me a new firing pin for $25 and I have not had a problem since then. Wish I had just spent the $25 in the first place.

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I purchased a Ljutic used that was 10 months old. On the 90th shot the gun would not open. This happend consistantly. I had Gary Roman work on it and he found it was the firing pin. In my case the firing pin was not 'ballized' but was blunt on the end and also was too long. Gary shortened and rounded the firing pin and I had no more trouble with it.

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.