1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Problem After Reblueing-Help!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Houston6, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

After having my old mono reblued the barrel is too tight to open.
    The barrels fits fine into the reciever but when I put the forarm hardware on the barrel, then the barrel release latch will not pull or it is very hard. If I rest the end of the barrel on the floor and push down on the top of the barrel into the reciever, then the release latch will pull easily. Would the new blueing be thick enough the make the barrel too tight when the forearm hardware is attached? Any ideas?

houston6

2. B.C.

B.C. Member

they probably did not take the forearm iron apart and the spring is rusted! hope this helps. B.C.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

put some mobile one on the latch -

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

Thanks guys but it's not rust or a spring problem or lubrication because the release latch works just fine with the barrel on, until I put the forarm hardware on. It is something about this hardware that put a real bind on the release latch. Problem something about Ljutics.
    Thanks again
    houston6

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Was there any other work done besides the bluing,ie..tightening of the action?

Put a little grease on the bbl lug where that the latch locks to.

The amount added to the surface after bluing (black oxide) is smaller than you and I could wish we could measure. More comes off from polishing than the actual bluing adds.

If the bbl continues to unlatch fine WITHOUT the forend, look for a pinch point where the forend wood comes in contact near the mono-block.

Doug Braker

6. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

Doug
    This tightness occurs wheather the wood is on the forearm or just the hardware alone so it is something about the hardware which is much tighter to put on than before.
    Thanks

houston6

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

h6, you might ask them if the lug fell off during bluing and they put it back on where they thought it went.

Neil

8. X73JSA

X73JSA TS Member

I had my Ljutic reblued 2 seasons ago, had the similar problem. Gun was very hard to get open. What I did was took my dremel with a polish wheel (cloth) and polished all the parts that moved or where I would usually apply grease. Seemed to work fine after that, still was a little tight used a little extra grease for a while and it eventually worked its self out.

9. bgf

bgf Active Member

h6,

I agree with Neil...sounds like the barrel lug has been moved. the microns of bluing is miniscule. If it was nickel or some other plating then maybe that would cause tolerance problems...but not bluing.

Bernie

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

you never said who reblued it or if they had the whole gun or not. You do realize that Ljutics have a wear take up mechanism inside the forearm harware?

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bluing is an etching process. Consequently, the latch area where the forearm iron is supposed to "slide" across, isn't sliding.

Polish-up the wear surface on the barrel lug with some 200-400 grit paper, then oil.

Whiz

12. B.C.

B.C. Member

did you field strip the forearm hardware yourself and do an inspection ? B.C.
    i had the same exact problem, that's why i asked !

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Every time I have mine reblued it does the same thing. I lube the heck out of the latch and after a few shots it never hangs up again.
    Pat Haskins

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

Hot bluing is a russting process as are all of the bluing processes I know. Put a good gun "grease" on the locking areas and work it in by opening and closing repeatedly. G96 is a pretty good all purpose grease.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mobile one -- dab some on- it is as slick as you can get

or STP

try it before you say no

Houston- I know you are looking for the ultimate truth but several have told you to lubricate

there may be no ultimate truth out there

the two I mention above are as slick as you can get

my guess is they will fix the problem immediately

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.