1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LJUTIC OPENS ON FIRING.....PROBLEM SOLVED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bling 27, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bling 27

bling 27 Member

I bought my first Ljutic. Although the gun is used ,it looks new and I'm shooting it well. Lately it opens up when fired. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe once or twice during a round. It does not do it with 7/8 oz or 1oz loads. but will do it with 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads. Factory shells. Has anyone experenced this with Ljutic's ? Thanks, Wayne I forgot to mention it is a Mono Gun.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try what unloader says, and I would replace the spring on the push button also, it may be getting weak.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Alamo

Alamo Member

I own two Ljutics with thousands of rounds through each one and have the utmost confidence in their reliability. But, it goes without saying that yours needs to checked by a competent gunsmith as soon as possible. At the very least, give Ljutic a call and describe the problem to them.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Happens with mine also using anything higher than 1145 and sometimes will using my light 1 oz loads . I`ll have to cut back on the lube and try it next week .

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

DO NOT Lubricate the inertia block or locking lug on the barrel. Keep it dry and clean. If it still opens then replace the inertia block spring. It's not a bad idea to replace this spring every time you replace the hammer spring.

jim brown

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

My K80 is doing the same thing on the second shot of doubles. My first shot is a light one oz. the second 1 1/8 at 1200 fps. I already have an appointment with Phillip to have it gone over. I have fired a little over 60,000 rounds thought it with out any service. Guess it is time. My old lujtic #637 probably has twice that many rounds and no problems.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

What Gary said....happened to me about 20 years ago...cured the problem..

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If cleaning the grease off doesn't work, there is a triangle looking device setting on top of the locking lug. Check the overall length then take a file and file the pointed tip back .005. That should cure your problem.

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

Much the same as shot410ga mentioned.

Mine doesn't open on firing but in the past I have had the sensation that upon firing I noticed what felt like a movement in the action. Sort of like a slide hammer, but mine is a Mono Gun so there are no moving parts internally. The folks at Ljutic told me to remove the inertia block and file back the pointed end of the small protrusion thus allowing the block to engage deeper into the locking notch in the barrel. What is interesting, though, is that I was advised by Ljutic to lube the side grooves of the inertia block. I have also replaced the inertia block spring. Be careful with the file so as to only remove metal from the face of the stop.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If you are going to adjust the stop on the inertia block a hand stone is a much better choice than a file. It don't take much. I have seen Denny take too much off one and he was probibly the best Ljutic smith I have seen. When this happens you get the opportunity to treat your gun like a pogo stick with your foot on the button. Generally this is the cure for a loose gun not for opening on firing. The inertia block spring is almost always a cure for opening.

jim brown

11. locdoc

locdoc Member

Good info, Jim. Thanks.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

12. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Same problem with an Alfermann or a Seitz; too much lube and it opens with your shot, usually a handicap load. AJ

13. clyslr

clyslr Member

I have been shooting this gun for over 15 years. It has almost 200,000 shells through it. I over grease it before every outing. If you want it to last - - grease it. When it needs work, send it to Ljutic ONLY! Don't mess around --get it fixed correctly.

Dennis (ClaySlayer)

14. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Shade tree gunsmithing on an $8000 gun. No wonder Ljutics are a giveaway on the used gun market!

15. Duck

Duck Member

nq27,

What trapgun do you recommend?.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

NQ27: If you don't feel competent, don't try. The trimming of the part with a file is exactly what Jimmy Ljutic told me to do. I did, of course grind off the bottom of the very fine file, so it did not scratch the surface. Anyone with a one inch micrometer and a fine file or stone can handle this minor adjustment. And I do grease the sides of the locking block.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What shotgun410 explained is correct, the triangle he is talking about is tear drop shaped and is a locking bolt stop. If the locking bolt stops before making full engagement into the monobloc due to wear from shooting can make the gun pop open from the vibration of the shell going off. It will not hurt if you even take .010 off. Been there done that.

18. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Shot410ga, it is not that I don't feel competent, it's just that I don't feel that I should have to Mickey Mouse around like this with an 8 grand gun. If you like tinkering, fine. I just don't.

Duck, my recommendation is a Kolar T/S. Mine has over 150k through it with nary a whisper of a problem. I know that I'm in the minority on the firing line, but I've never heard of one opening on firing. Ok, it's not a Perazzi with their delaminating ribs and flat springs that break, or a K-gun with it's 32 part trigger that craps out at just the wrong time. But it has a great trigger, is built like a bank vault, and Kolar's customer service is second to none. And it will chew targets...day after week after year.

I come from a sporting clays background and will be the first to admit that I am not a world beating trap shooter. I bought my Ljutic on a whim, and the workmanship and trigger are superb. But it is looking more and more like the company is going south. I just don't want to be sitting in my basement with a mill file fixing a Ljutic when there is a CLOSED sign on the door in Yakima.

19. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Shot410ga, it is not that I don't feel competent, it's just that I don't feel that I should have to Mickey Mouse around like this with an 8 grand gun. If you like tinkering, fine. I just don't.

Duck, my recommendation is a Kolar T/S. Mine has over 150k through it with nary a whisper of a problem. I know that I'm in the minority on the firing line, but I've never heard of one opening on firing. Ok, it's not a Perazzi with their delaminating ribs and flat springs that break, or a K-gun with it's 32 part trigger that craps out at just the wrong time. But it has a great trigger, is built like a bank vault, and Kolar's customer service is second to none. And it will chew targets...day after week after year.

I come from a sporting clays background and will be the first to admit that I am not a world beating trap shooter. I bought my Ljutic on a whim, and the workmanship and trigger are superb. But it is looking more and more like the company is going south. I just don't want to be sitting in my basement with a mill file fixing a Ljutic when there is a CLOSED sign on the door in Yakima.

20. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ljutic inertia block

ljutic pops open when firing

ljutic pops opewn when fired