1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ljutic learning curve

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadshot, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadshot

leadshot Member

there is a current thread on this site talking about ljutic trap guns..many of the comments say ..once you learn to shoot it you will not want to give it up...having recently bought a used pro3 my question is what is the learning curve you all are talking about...

2. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

not sure, from the first time I pulled the trigger on my pro 3 I was in love. never had a gun that felt so natural. if you have to "learn" or "get use to it" maybe it's not the gun for you. just my thoughts, Jack

3. alf174

alf174 Member

leadshot, learning curve is many things.
    From one gun to another, your muscles will detect the weight difference, the inertia or force required to move the gun, the balance (how the guns mass is distributed along its length), the speed of the trigger, the pull and release force of the trigger.
    Your eyes will see a difference in sight picture down the barrel.
    The gun's length of pull, the cant of the pad in your shoulder, the pad's outline, etc.
    so forth and so on.
    All of these differences will take time and practice to get your body accustomed to a new or different gun.

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Leadshot,

Thanks for posting this. I also read the thread on the Ljutic and wondered about the same comments you did. I will be interested to read your responses here. Thanks again.

alf174, your comments were correct and thoughtful, but the posts on the thread that Leadshot referred to inferred that the Ljutic took a little more time to adapt to than other brands of trap guns. I, too, wondered why it would take more patience to become proficient with a Ljutic. Martinpicker

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I could get a Pro-3 that shot over 100% high I would trade my CG for it in a minute.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

6. rdland

rdland TS Supporters TS Supporters

Alf174 pretty much sums it up. I started shooting trap with an inherited 870 Trap. I wasn't sure if I wanted to shoot trap or not so that was a good gun for me to try and it was free. It didn't take too long and I was hooked. I posted some decent scores with the 870 (a gun I'll never knock) but wanted a higher end trap gun. A regular poster on another shotgun forum gave me some great advice and highly recommended the Ljutic. The transition from the 870 to the Ljutic definitely took some getting used to for the above reasons that Alf174 posted. But once I got used to it, I never looked back.

On the other hand, we cut the stock on my wife's Ljutic to fit her, did some fine tuning on a patterning board and she shot a 25 on her first 25 target round of trap that she ever shot with her Ljutic. She had been shooting an O/U with a popular recoil system installed on the butt and swears that the recoil on her Ljutic (no recoil system) is softer.

7. alf174

alf174 Member

Martin: because its not. Those thread statements are purely subjective. Its best not to underestimate getting used to any gun. I have a Ljutic and an Alfermann; each took a while to get used to and its a different amount of time for any individual shooter.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If the gun fits you properly from the get go, you just start grinding targets with it. Mine felt better the first time I picked it up than any other gun before or since....that was 1983....still shooting it.

Ron Burr

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are referring to the method of opening the gun? Have to get used to pulling the button to open it? Ljutics also tend to be fairly heavy, so if you are shooting a BT-99 then there will be a substantial difference in the swing mechanics. But who knows exactly what the poster meant?

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I don't believe in a learnibg curve, the gun either fits you or it don't, you need to make the gun fit you, and has your POI. If you have that you have it all.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. gcessna

gcessna Member

I have a Pro 3 the forward end of mine is lite and some say wippy. It was made for HDCP. but works great at the 16 also. Everything in the trigger assy is short so it can have shot out of the barrel much quicker than most anything else you will shoot. I BELIEVE, I have noticed that on hard lefts and rights I at first touched off early. I shot it with a .044 restriction and still do, to keep me honest to it's performance. Gary Bryant Knows ljutics. He gave me good info when I inquired on here prior to my aquiring my Pro 3. Hey Gary how about the new Ljutic srm (short rib mono) in a pro3 with an adjustable rib for you to get your 100%? A one touch SRPro3, got your name all over it!

Gary Cessna

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I agree with Valdes as getting used to the way it opens.

When I got my PRO III stainless I thought it was the best looking gun I had ever seen. I shot it well also. I did not like the way it made my finger hurt when opening it and I did switch fingers. Some said you could get the spring cut shorter and some said there was a piece you could add to the button to make it easier.

I found it easier to trade it in on my Cole. It was for a back up anyway but I wanted to feel comfortable with opening it. Ray

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's a heaver gun. My Mono weights 10.2 lbs. with a PFS installed. And if you take a look at the receiver from the bottom as compared to other high end guns, you will notice the receiver is substantially thiner across. Al must have designed and used some heavy metal on his guns.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

There might be a learning curve to opening it and not chucking out an unfired shell or opening it with a release trigger and not losing the unfired shell.

15. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I will relay to you my initial learning experience with a used but hardly used Centennial Pro Stainless which I just picked up.

1) The trigger is very quick and perhaps the quickest trigger I have used. Perhaps the one item that takes some time to get the hang of. Pre-loading the trigger with tension is not possible yet as I have not spent enough time with it to get that mastered. The cold weather here in New England has not helped the "fine touch" much...

2) The Ljutic takes a while to learn how to mindlessly open. Perhaps 4+ rounds until you start getting used to it. When you are shooting registered targets you do not want the distraction of fiddling with how to open the gun up. At least I don't. My Centennial Pro has the larger opening button with the extended flare so it is easy to find and unlatch and then open the action. It closes like a bank vault. Mine has an extractor rather than a lauching ejector you I have to deftly pluck the spent case out.

3) My Ljutic shoots high but has an adjustable roll over comb. So I had to remove comb spacers to lower the pattern to where I "like" it. Still in the stages of fine tuning this.

4) Like with any new firearm, you have to learn the gun, the hold, the weight, the swing, the shouldering technique that you and the gun feel most comfortable with. I place this fourth on my list as I was blessed to have this Centennial Pro fit me very well.

So those are the aspects of the learning curve that you my have with any gun, including the fine guns made by Lujtic.

Art

16. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

as stated several times above, if it does not fit you will not hit. gun fit, gun fit, gun fit and nothing else matters. all I hear in " you gotta learn the gun" is, you are trying to adapt to an ill fitting gun. Jack

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Star4Ever, Your gun can be made to extract, or to eject the empties out.

Talk to a Ljutic guy and they can show you how to change it if you like.

Hauxfan!

18. bassetguy

bassetguy TS Member

For 30 years I shot a Charles Daly o/u with 30 " barrels. I bought a model 73 a few years ago with 33" barrels. It was heavier and slower moving than I was use to. I had to learn to be more aggressive on hard rights and lefts. I wanted to sell it. Now - I would never. It is so much softer shooting than the Daly. Dont get frustrated. Just spent some time with the Ljutic and adjust a little bit at a time

19. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its all there in the threads above.Get fitted, once you know your measurements look for a Ljutic with those measurements. Does it fit? Mine did I got a mono mid rib 70/30 from G.B out of Duluth Mn. Drove up from cabin to see if it fit,it did .No learning curve shot 50 streight that night and the next day another 50. Still my best gun. Good luck with yours.

John.G.

20. Gil

Gil Member

Lead shot, I spent a long time on the 26.5. I purchased a mono gun and went to the 27 in two months. The first two weeks were exasperating. Nothing worked. I finally said to hell with it and just shot the gun. I ran my first 200 with this gun and still shoot it. I think the balance (muzzle weight) and general fit are very important. After my good experience with the mono, I bought a Bi-gun for doubles. Did not have the same results. My problem not Ljutics. I wanted a gun built like a tank. I had to send my mono to ljutic for general repair after 100,000 rounds. If you are still unconvinced, buy a used one at half or less the price and see how it works for you. Not everyone can shoot a Ljutic, but I think most could if they tried. George Miller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

learning to shoot a ljutic mono