1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic FTE w/steel head hulls....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FN in MT, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I experienced several Fail To Ejects with steel head RP Gun Club hulls this afternoon with Ljutic Mono gun #143. Just started shooting this gun and have not had any issues with factory brass hulls. These were reloads loaded on a Spolar. Even had a lone WW AA brass case stick.

I have tons of brass headed STS/WW AA hulls so could easily load ONLY brass for this gun. Any other fixes for this situation??? Polish chamber? Fully SIZE cases in a collet type sizer? Keep chamber "operating room" CLEAN??

FN in MT

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

You will hear a lot of bullshit answers on here so I will give you the facts first, at least in my case! I could not even reliably consistently fire brand new steel headed cases in one of my Lguns! Don't listen to the boys about clean chambers, proper resizing etc! I load on PW 800# and Mec 9000 which of course is the collet resizer! Anyway, I even polished the chamber using Brownell's diamond polish that you would crown a rifle barrel with to no avail! I finally measured the chamber and it measured .0025=.003" smaller I.D. than my Seitz and my 682x o/u! To those that will try to tell you your chamber is too big, bullshit! Or, at least in my case! Tom Rhoads P. S. How you get the chamber opened up is up to the other guys and gunsmiths on here!

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

By the way, to save yourself headaches, just keep the chamber clean and resize brass headed shells if bought or out of another gun! It will work fine! Tom Rhoads

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My Mono 111 doesn`t eject RGC hulls either and I saw on here all that can be done to make it so .. I will not have the chamber opened for using cheap shells whether new or reloaded . I have polished the chamber and lubed it with silicon and graphite so the best I can tell you is just reload STS`s and you should have no problems . I even tried resizing the RGC`s 3 times thru 3 different types of resizers and nothing worked . No problems with any other gun of mine .

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

there will be ammo that all guns will tend to like or dislike. My XT swallows averything even with out resizing. My 870 tends to hang on resized steel base. As my S&W performance center 1911 45acp cycled everything I have put in its magazine. My S&W 4013 will take almost everything but the heaviest loads and the wolf non brass cased ammo. it tends not to feed and or stove pipe. ? use what works

6. Mic K

Mic K TS Member

I will state my experience with steel cases and Ljutics.... forget it. I ATTEMPTED to shoot Top Guns out of my old Mono Gun (1977 vintage) and accomplished a lot of sweating and anxiety as to which would occur first: break the stock at the wrist trying to open it or get the gun open and shell out. Same thing with my newer ARS Mono Gun. Another issue I believe, in my opinion, Ljutics seem to have softer receivers, similar to Remington 3200's and some Perazzi's. I had to polish the breech face of my older Mono to remove some of the peening around the firing pin hole created by hard primer cups. That helped to ease the opening / ejection problem but did not eliminate it. I load only STS hulls and use only Winchester or Remington primers in the reloads. Haven't had any problems since. In short, I agree with Mr. Rhoads and would like to state that the folks at Ljutic are some of the nicest in the business.

Best Regards,
    Mic K.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The top end of the chamber dia, just below the rim cut should be .815". Goinf a couple thousandths over shouldn't hurt. If you get over .820", you may find that everything might stick.

What's very important is that the chamber walls are flat and smooth. I've been re-working a lot of Rem 870 expresses that are having steel base game loads sticking. The chamber are at the correct dia...aprox .812"-.815", but the reamer marks are still there.

Taking a brake hone on an electric drill, with oil, hone the chamber. Honing for a half hour won't remove .002', but it will flatten the chamber walls, by removing the reamer marks and bad polishing.

Finish up with some 240 grit cloth, on a mandral in the drill.

HERE IS A CAUTION.....I've benn seeing many more chambers recently (last few years) that are getting a indentations just below the rim cut. I'm gussing it's coming from the steel bases. I've sleeved a dozen guns this year to correct the ejection issues.

Doug Braker

8. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

As GUN DR mentioned above about chamber indentations possibly due to steel based hulls, there is a discussion thread about this on shotgunworld.com under the Krieghoff sub heading.

9. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

My older Ljutic really had problems with steel based hulls, as well. Rather than trying this or that, I just shot brass based hulls and forgot about it. My new Ljutic is pretty much perfect when it comes to ejecting anything, but gun clubs sometimes sit in the chamber for an extra second before the ejector pops them out. Every other shell whether brass or steel based is fine with it, though. I guess it just depends on the Ljutic. They're great guns, but like I said, it'll probably just be easier to shoot brass based hulls.

10. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Gentleman,

Appreciate the input and the information. Looks like my stash of AA's and STS's will finally get put to good use. An easy FIX.

FN in MT

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I had that problem with my Ljutic. Jimmy Ljutic fixed it. No problem now.

12. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Chango.......ANY idea WHAT he did??

FN

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Frank,

I too had these problems with my Pro 3. The only steel based shells that are "mostly" reliable are Gun Clubs, most likely due to the smaller bearing surface of the short base. I shoot mostly new STS shells now and it's never a problem. The steel base problem IMO seems to be the lack of elasticity of steel over brass - they expand, but don't contract at all. I contacted Ljutic and was told that a stiffer ejector spring would solved the problem. $30 for a $1 spring was ordered, installed and it solved nothing. Some say that it's due to Ljutic's slightly oversized chamber, but mine measures smaller than standard. My biggest problem is with the cheap Spanish shells (higher base - thus a larger bearing surface), RIO and the like. Bottom line is either stick with good shells for your good gun or carry a wad knocker in your pocket.

RJS

14. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Bob,

Yeah I agree with You. A simple fix; load some of the thousands of my scrounged AA's and STS hulls and forget about it.

Shot it on Wed at Gt Falls and was surprised that maybe 1/4 of my reloaded Gun Clubs stuck in the chamber. Never had any issues with them in the K gun or the CG.

Certainly liking the Ljutic though!!

FN in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ljutic diamond finish on receivere

resize the chamber of a ljutic